Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How do carbs make u FAT??????

He'sjustalittleguy said:
I heard that the body cannot store fat without the presence of insulin.
Thanx :confused:

Hmmm, this doesn't sound right. Adipose (FAT) tissue is typically for the most part the result of unburned calories. So if you had 0 carbs in 5 days (wouldn't recommend it) but averaged 4000 calories which only included things like bacon, hamburger, and protein and sat around the house doing nothing, u bet u would accumulate adipose tissue without a problem.

Last edited:
The myth that you need insulin to store fat is the cornerstone of diets such as Atkins etc.....acylation stimulating protein is a major player in insulin independant triglyceride storage, particularly in subcutaneous tissue. In fact there is now a body of evidence that obesity and very low carb diets both lead to an increase of ASP. This may be the main reason obese folks (or those coming off a verly low carb diet) suffer rebound fat gain more than other people. In other words you've trained your body to be more efficient at storing fat even when carbs are lacking. But putting the biochemistry aside, it still comes down to too many CALORIES make you fat.

MS said:
In fact there is now a body of evidence that obesity and very low carb diets both lead to an increase of ASP. This may be the main reason obese folks (or those coming off a verly low carb diet) suffer rebound fat gain more than other people. In other words you've trained your body to be more efficient at storing fat even when carbs are lacking. But putting the biochemistry aside, it still comes down to too many CALORIES make you fat.

Thats interesting - I've heard this severall times and thats why many peope feel that CKD diets ultimately fail in the long run and actually make things worse. I don't know why so many bodybuilders swear by this diet if fat stores are facilitated by these diets. Hmmmmmm.:confused:

Bodybuilders swear by low carb diets because they work! A cutting diet for a BB is a very extreme and short term diet. Alos most BBs are realistic enough to know that they're gonna gain some fat back post comp. Good BBs are always 'dieting' one way or another and can usually keep the fat gains in control by shear willpower and good diet planning. Obese folks are in a different boat. Most, sadly, see a diet in a similar light to a BB in that they just want to see the fat come off. They're often not looking at a lifestyle approach to weight management, and don't even consider what they're gonna do once they reach their target fatloss. Lets face it- a BB knows they're going to pig-out and gain back the fat they lost. They accept this as part of the game. Your average obese person thinks that they are going to somehow magically maintain their new weight without having to continually work at it.

I think the simplest answer to your question is:

Carbs don't technically make you fat, it's the insulin that comes with carbs it what actually makes you fat. You see the overtake of daily carbs. is the real problem, for it constitutes the spill over of glucose to fat cells. Generally, I'd say follow these two rules-of-thumb and you wont risk fat gain:
1)Mix Carbs/protein
2)Mix Fat/protein

This is a sure way to not gain fat, and enjoy the foods you like.

Mr.X :cool:

That's a good rule of thumb. Think about it from nature's point of view......there ar no naturally occurring foods that are high in carbs AND fat. There are also few naturally occurring raw carb foods that have a high GI. Maybe there's a good reason for that! Having said that, many people swear by isocaloric diets. From a purely evolutionary (long term health) point of view I am not a fan of the isocaloric concept or of 'spiking' one's insulin. But from a BB point of view (ie gain maximum muscle in minimum time) there is a place for these diet approaches.

so then if my diet is 40-40-20 i wont gain fat. And wat if i ate some simple carbs during the day...can i gain fat even if i dont eat fat at the same time that i eat the carbs and i stay below maintenance???

You'll put on adipose tissue (FAT) if you burn less calories than you consume - its that simple. It doesn't matter whether you are on a 40-20-20 diet, ZONE Diet, ADLKINS, whatever. Also understand the FAT you put on is not the same as the fat you consume. You need some fat in your diet to aid in digestion - don't be scared of fat. Be concerned with burning say 300 or so more cals than you consume in a day, that is if you want to lose. There are other methods as well as have been mentioned (CKD Diets, eetc) but it pretty much comes down to calories in/calories out.

Also, if u want to lose or cut up, simple sugars will retard that process, especially the cutting up part, even if u r at or a little below calorie maintenance.

Last edited:
Imagine that...the First Law of Thermodynamics holds true. :)

Just wanted to say that it's good to hear some intelligent discussion regarding diet from some educated individuals rather than the typical gym BS of perpetuating idiotic BB "mythinformation".

Top Bottom