Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Hey Mitch!

I suppose it depends how you set your shot up...

I personally would use my widest angle and probably start at F8. Reason being is because at a wider angle I would capture about 70% of the sky in the field of view and 30% of the landscape etc...

With a wide enough angle (not too wide) you'll get a lil bit of a fisheye giving the sky a cool dome look and with the smaller aperture the entire picture will be sharper.

I would also bump the iso down to remove noise.

I suppose it depends how you set your shot up...

I personally would use my widest angle and probably start at F8. Reason being is because at a wider angle I would capture about 70% of the sky in the field of view and 30% of the landscape etc...

With a wide enough angle (not too wide) you'll get a lil bit of a fisheye giving the sky a cool dome look and with the smaller aperture the entire picture will be sharper.

I would also bump the iso down to remove noise.

Yeah, I played around with the iso last night. My camera goes up to 25,000 iso setting which is ridiculous. 400-1000 seemed to do the best. Its difficult to shoot the milky way like in the second pic and then decide what is light from super distant stars and what is noise.

A wider lens would totally help. I didn't really plan to take pics of this meteor shower until two days ago so I kinda fugged myself. The ones in Dec are usually good and the cold air at night makes for clearer skies, but the moon is supposed to be out... When Abby was born I rented a couple lenses from lensdepot.com (macro's etc). I think I'll do that again sometime later this fall when the leaves turn and then figure out which one I like best before buying some new glass.

I'll play with the smaller apertures tonight. Gonna stay for sunrise and see what kind of noob shots I can get.

yeah, with your camera you should be able to get soem really good shots once you get your settings dialed in.

your camera is a lot nicer than mine. I might mess around and take some pics tomorrow..

startrails_zpsda973645.jpg

This looks a bit better using Lightroom for a few minutes.

startrailLR1_zps762109d1.jpg

Yeah, I spent a lot of money on my lenses. I'll eventually upgrade to a Canon 5D Mark III, but for now what I have gets the job done.

Top Bottom