Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help with shoulders

JoBu

Hardcore Hasher
Platinum
I almost never leave the gym satisfied on shoulder day. I think it's mostly because i don't have a good solid set of lifts figured out. Plus...I always feel like a pussy lifting shoulders. I know it doesn't matter how much weight I push, but it's mentally difficult to struggle with relatively light weights. Anyway, I need some suggestions for core shoulder moves. I'm looking to put on mass at the moment and will worry about cutting shape later. I lift alone, so I limit my bb moves...mostly hammer machines and dbs.

Thanks all-

JoBu

try pre-exhaust with laterals or lateral machine before presses, sure it will make you feel like a girl pressing less, but it will target your delts better. Try using free weights, especially dumbells for delts in your core movements, and giant sets are the key for many nice sets of delts

i havent had a good shoulder day in at least a year. then i did my first day of doggcrapp's routine. i have a thread probably at the bottom of the page now outlining that day. they're still sore

You say you lift at a gym ... ask someone to spot you when you're doing some bb presses.

Try other compound moves. Power cleans/presses are good. I hear from guys on the board that snatches are a good exercise. I'd lose the machines if I were you man.

just work on a full range of motion and getting as amany reps out as humanly possible and more. I usually start with DB presses and then lateral raises, then reverse flyes then go to standing puss press to fry them, plus add a few drop sets

Try this... and don't worry about weight all that much, concentrate on getting a pump in your delts, imagine your delts blowing up like bowling balls.

Warm up: 2 sets 20 reps. standing side lateral raises (try 8-12 pounds) strict.

Side lateral raises 3x 8-10 reps.
Rear delts on pec/dec 1x15, 2x12, 1x8 (really concentrate on the pump and form on this one)
Upright rows 4sets low or high reps (your choice) superset with light front raises. as many as you can get.
Shoulder press (any type) go heavy as you can for 4 sets, you won't be able to lift much 'cause you shoulders should be pre-exhausted by this point.
Shrugs(any type) go for 4 sets 12-15 reps.

Work your shoulders 1x per week, eat like a pig after and sleep and grow.

My delts have always been one of my worst areas.... so this year, I've really tried to get my delt/shoulder training right..... I have been very happy with the following shoulder/trap day workout:

Shoulder Press w/DBs - 3 x 8-12
Shrugs - 3 x 8-12
Side lateral raises - 3 x 8-12
Low Row (on hamer strength and leaning back) - 3 x 8-12
Front DB raises - 3 x 8-12
Rear Delts on pec/dec (or crossover cables) 3 x 8-12

(I guess that's similar to what gimp posted, but that is my routine, and I've had some good success with it.

I like to drop sets for lateral raises. I start out with a heavy (for me) dumbbell that i can get maybe 10 reps with. These 10 are ugly reps. I am not so concerned with how i look on these, i just try to get the blood really pumping. Then when i cant move those anymore, i put them down and pick up something a lot less, like 15 lbs dumbbells and really concentrate on form and slower movement and just keep pumping them out till i cant move that weight any more.

I do a couple of sets of this until my shoulders are soo pumped and tired that i have to do 5 lb dumbbells on the drop part of the set.

It is tireing , but by the end, my shoulders have a super pump that makes me feel huge (until i look in the mirror :) I don't suggest doing this every time, cause its a lot of reps, but try it once, its sure to give you the pump you'd like.

Other than that, i do barbell press (in front) and reverse peck deck machine.

-Fatty

When do you train delts?

Delt training used to interfere with my chest training especially benchpressing and vice versa:

Training delt 1-3 days before chest limited my bench, as the delts were still sore.

Training Delts on the same day after chest, limited my overhead presses

For me I found that training delts the day after chest works best, so that i can have 3 / 4 days before i train chest and delts again.

My poundages on the bench and overhead presses went up lately.

also it helped a lot to go beserk with trap training: a large volume of heavy shrugs immediately after training delts.

Shoulders come 2-3 days after back/bis and 2-3 days before chest/tris. I usually don't lift again till the soreness from the last day is about gone although I switch it up some times and lift two days in a row. Ny problem is more with feeling that I'm working my shoulders doog when i do lift them. Today was shoulder day and I did standing bb press (some in front some in back) supersetted with standing bb rows, then went to front db raises, then db presses, then reverse pec deck machine. Overall I feel I got a better workout than usual, but I just don't feel like I'm hitting the front of my shoulders. and in my presses it feels like my arms in general are giving out rather than my shoulders specifically. I'll see how sore I am tomorrow.

Top Bottom