Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help with a few weightlifting terms...

ClickClack911

OK, this is my first post on here so... hello :Chef: I am not a beginner weightlifter. I've been lifting intensely (4-6 days per week, lifting HARD) for about 4 years. Anyway, one of the football players at my school (University of Louisville) gave me a copy of his Pre-NFL Combine weightlifting routine, and I needed help knowing exactly what a few of the terms I see on it mean...

1. Clean Shrug Pulls - His guide says his max is 357.5, and for example, for his Pre-Combine Week 1 he does 58% of his 1 rep max (205 x5), then 68% (245 x5), then 76% (270 x5), then 76% (270 x5)...

I know what the Power Clean lift is and have been that for quite a while now... but what is a Clean Shrug Pull? Also, while I'm on this subject what is a snatch? And what is a jerk?

2. DB Lateral Raise - so DB is dumb bell... is a lateral raise where you raise the dumb bell up in front of you? Or raise it to your side?

3. BB Complex - Barbell Complex... any idea what this could be?

4. Jam Twist - I believe this is where you use the same machine you use for tricep pulldowns... where you put the machine at the bottom and use the attachment where you can grab a handle with a single hand.. then from the bottom you kind of twist facing from the original direction to 180 degrees the opposite direction, while doing a sort of upward punch motion with the single hand attachment... Is this right?

5. CG - Anyone know what CG stands for? The example on the guide is "CG Incline Press"

6. SL SB Hip Lift - Single Leg ?? Hip Lift - Not sure what SB stands for, and not sure what a hip lift is... On his guide it says for him to do 3 sets of 6 reps w/ no weight, if that helps

7. DB Complex - Same as barbell complex I guess, only with dumb bells...

8. DB Snatch - I guess my above questions asking what a Snatch is would help me here...

9. Slideboard Lunge - says to do 3 sets of 8 with no weight, if that helps...

Sorry for the extremely long first post.. any help is MUCH appreciated.

Well, a Snatch is when you pull the weight off the floor, up to your chest. From the chest you push with your legs while getting under the weight, eventually ending up with the weight over your head. Do that with a dumbbell for the one hand snatch.

SL will probably stand for Straight-leg, but, not sure.. SB?.. no clue.

Good luck with the rest of the Jargon. :p

OK, this is my first post on here so... hello :Chef: I am not a beginner weightlifter. I've been lifting intensely (4-6 days per week, lifting HARD) for about 4 years. Anyway, one of the football players at my school (University of Louisville) gave me a copy of his Pre-NFL Combine weightlifting routine, and I needed help knowing exactly what a few of the terms I see on it mean...

1. Clean Shrug Pulls - His guide says his max is 357.5, and for example, for his Pre-Combine Week 1 he does 58% of his 1 rep max (205 x5), then 68% (245 x5), then 76% (270 x5), then 76% (270 x5)...

Use a clean grip and start with a normal pulling motion but don't bend your arms. Just pull and shrug the weight up dynamically then come back down.

I know what the Power Clean lift is and have been that for quite a while now... but what is a Clean Shrug Pull? Also, while I'm on this subject what is a snatch? And what is a jerk?

2. DB Lateral Raise - so DB is dumb bell... is a lateral raise where you raise the dumb bell up in front of you? Or raise it to your side?

Lateral means out to the side. So any lift that is a lateral is done out to the side.

3. BB Complex - Barbell Complex... any idea what this could be?

Probably a compound motion like a pull/clean/press grouping.

4. Jam Twist - I believe this is where you use the same machine you use for tricep pulldowns... where you put the machine at the bottom and use the attachment where you can grab a handle with a single hand.. then from the bottom you kind of twist facing from the original direction to 180 degrees the opposite direction, while doing a sort of upward punch motion with the single hand attachment... Is this right?

That might be right or it could be where you jam a bar in the corner then twist the weight from one side up and over to the other side while holding the end of the bar.

5. CG - Anyone know what CG stands for? The example on the guide is "CG Incline Press"

CG- Close Grip

6. SL SB Hip Lift - Single Leg ?? Hip Lift - Not sure what SB stands for, and not sure what a hip lift is... On his guide it says for him to do 3 sets of 6 reps w/ no weight, if that helps

My guess is single leg stability ball hip lift. Lay on the ball and do side leg raises.

7. DB Complex - Same as barbell complex I guess, only with dumb bells...

Good guess that's what I would think.

8. DB Snatch - I guess my above questions asking what a Snatch is would help me here...

Snatch is an olympic lift, it's like a clean but instead of the weight going to the shoulders you lift it to full extension overhead in one motion. DB just mean to do one arm at a time instead of with an oly bar.

9. Slideboard Lunge - says to do 3 sets of 8 with no weight, if that helps...

Doing lunges on a machine that has a travelling pad for your back leg. That way you never have to pick up your feet so it eliminates a lot of the balance issues associated with lunges.

Welcome to the board man.

Cheers,
Scotsman

[B24] said:
thats a clean and jerk bro.hahah.

snatch is lifting the bar from the floor to above your head in one movement

Whowww. Both you and Scotsman are definately correct..
I dont understand why I let that slip out. God damn it, I keep seeing things.
Correct, snatch is one motion, damn it. :p

Top Bottom