Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Help please organizing my days

JackVa1

I believe I am not able to advance because I do the same workouts every Tuesday Thursday and Saturday. Here are my exercises I do each day. Maybe someone could tell me which to move to Monday Wed, Fri so maybe I can move past where I am stuck.

Crunches (15 minutes)
Military Press
Dumbell Curls
Legr raises (on a machine)
Butterfly (same machine)
Lat pull downs (forward grip)
Lat pull downs (reverse grip)
Bench press
Squats
Knee on the bench I do dumbell pull ups to my chest (not sure what these are called)

All 3 x 10 and once in a while I do a heavy day and a light day with more reps.

Thanks if you can square me away - I am 60 and like what I am doing but.....

A lot depends on your goals, so what are they exactly? I also personally like to accommodate the "big three" into my routines if I can (i.e. Bench, Dead Lift, Squat) you have two out of them so I'd say that's a good start. It's also good that you have proper rest, I like to allow at least one day off between each workout. Monday, Wednesday, Friday splits are good for a traditional three day split, but really any days work so long as you have adequate rest. Nutrition also comes into play, what's your diet like? It's a multi-faceted answer here, it'll help to know your goals, diet and stats. In general though you can group your exercises into "Push" movements, and "Pull Movements" and have a day for legs. Push exercises are obviously ones like Bench, Dips, Shoulder Press and most Tricep, Shoulder, Chest exercises. Pull movements are the opposite such as Dead Lifts, Rows most things involving biceps, back, traps and hamstrings. Again, it'd be easier to help with more information though (diet, goals, stats, etc.)

"knee on the bench" is called a one armed dumbbell row by the way :)

Ok so my goal is to stay lean and mostly get blood flowing every day, big time. I was told I need a 5 way bypass a few years ago and although I always exercised, I was a notorious bad eater. I decided to pass on the bypass. I am 90 % vegetarian now. I drink protein powder drinks , smoothies, salad, beans...the cardio is a must, but I like mixing in the weights regularly. I play tennis 3 x a week, very competitively.
Are you saying that I should split the workouts and do pushes & pulls on alternate days? Thanks

Bro not trying to be an ass to you but this workout is just plain junk.
Im just gonna write a very simple 3 day per week routing for you that will be much more beneficial for you overall.

You can do what ever rep scheme you prefer, 3x10, 5x5, 4x8 etc.
Mon
10 min warm up
Squats
Lunges
Dips
What ever cardio you want, you set the time.

Wed
10 min warm up
Squats
Flat bbl bench
Bent over bbl rows
What ever cardio you want you set the time.

Fri
Dead lifts
Overhead presses
Pull/Chin ups

There you go. Short and sweet. This will give you way more benefit then what you have been doing.
Good luck.

I believe I am not able to advance because I do the same workouts every Tuesday Thursday and Saturday. Here are my exercises I do each day. Maybe someone could tell me which to move to Monday Wed, Fri so maybe I can move past where I am stuck.

Crunches (15 minutes)
Military Press
Dumbell Curls
Legr raises (on a machine)
Butterfly (same machine)
Lat pull downs (forward grip)
Lat pull downs (reverse grip)
Bench press
Squats
Knee on the bench I do dumbell pull ups to my chest (not sure what these are called)

Zed,

I just got back to the forum and was blown away by your response. I was doing 40-45 minutes three days a week with my varied routing and your regimen seems like it might not take more than 20 - 25 minutes a day plus cardio. Would you mind giving me a quick idea of what I was doing wrong trying to incorporate musch more into my weekly work? I've been getting stronger and feeling great since adding the weights and machone work 6 months ago. Thanks, I am willing to go with what you suggest and have already incorporated squats into my week from other postings I had read

Crunches (15 minutes)*
Military Press
Dumbell Curls*
Legr raises (on a machine)*
Butterfly (same machine)*
Lat pull downs (forward grip)*
Lat pull downs (reverse grip)*
Bench press
Squats

* All of these are really just wasting your time bro. They are just fluff for you right now. For all of these to be of any benefit to you at all you first have to be dam strong. But thats what nobody ever tells you.

For most all of us the very best workouts will be mostly compound lifts with low to med reps. This is what is gonna make you strong and that just how this works.
Also most all of us will benefit much from heavier weights and lower reps then with light weights and high reps. Again thats just the way it is.

IMO most all of us will get way greater benefit from doing too little rather then too much. Now I very well know that there are a lot of bros on here and even some of my good friends that woudl differ with this and thats fine. Everybody is welcome to their opine and this is just mine for what its worth.

I can tell you this, more peeps then not get hella better results from this kind of workout then any other. This is more or less a hard gainer routine, but typically works very well for new to late intermediate lifters and even a lot of advanced lifter get some dam nice gains from programs like this that I have set out for you.

BTW dont be afraid not to do curls. You get way better bicep stimulation from pull ups and chin ups and rows. And plenty of it too. IMO too many bro way overtrain their biceps and then they just dont get much growth out of it.

For right now dont be concerned about crunches. The squats, and deadlifts will take care of your abs till you get a good core developed. Then you get concerned about ab excersizes.

Hey bro, you say you are 60?
Have you had your test level checked? If not then get to your DR. and demand a male hormone panel right now.
There is no good reason that you should not feel pretty dam much as good as you did in your 30s.
So do that for you bro and keep this running; I would really like to follow up and see you continue to improve.
Best regards and good luck.

I would definately ditch your current routine and give the one posted a shot.

I would recommend something like this as a basic set/rep scheme to get started, but options are endless:

Mon
10 min warm up
Squats 5x5
Lunges 3x8-12
Dips 3x8-10 (possibly weighted)

Wed
10 min warm up
Squats 1x20
Flat bbl bench 5x5
Bent over bbl rows 5x5
What ever cardio you want you set the time.

Fri
Dead lifts 1x5 after warmup sets
Overhead presses 5x5
Pull/Chin ups AMAPx3

In reality you wouldn't be working less, as with heavy compound lifts you will need longer rest periods to recover. It will benefit you more, without wasting time on machines and without having you on the floor doing crunches.

Top Bottom