Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
even by this definition we're still nowhere near the midpoint :)
I'm telling you how pagans reckon it. This is how I look at it, astronomically it's the way things are and astrologically :whatever: I don't really give a shit what the modern culture's take on things are. Look, I'll give you a good example of a tradition that people still observe on a specific date and nobody knows why. What does yanking a groundhog out of it's den have to do with anything? Nada. Feb. 1 marked the celebration of Imbolc, one of the cross-quarter festivals, it traditionally heralded the start of the spring quarter of the year and the end of the winter quarter. It was one of the four principal festivals of the Irish calendar, celebrated among Gaelic peoples and some other Celtic cultures. Since the vast majority of American settlers come from Celtic stock, we held onto the tradition even if we don't know why. Same thing for Halloween, same thing for Christmas.

Anyway, the summer solstice is the longest day(s) of the year, the winter solstice the longest night(s). The solstice is the peak of the cycle, the mid point. So think of the summer solstice as the beginning of summer, if you will, that's your perogative. In my book, and in the book of the vast majority of pagans and other cultures, world wide, the solstice marks the midpoint with May day, May 1, being the beginning of summer.

Wow I just read all 18 pages, nice job Chris and Shrimp that was soo funny.

No proselytizing.

:)
Proselytizing would be telling everyone why their religion is wrong and my spiritual path is right. Giving them a different way to look at the seasons of the year is just sharing food for thought :D

They say pagans are born, not made, I'm beginning to believe this. The first time my husband and I heard of this perspective of the cycle of the year it made complete sense to us and "felt" right. I don't know a pagan on this planet who disagrees with it, either. Conventional people, though, not so much ...

I'm telling you how pagans reckon it. This is how I look at it, astronomically it's the way things are and astrologically :whatever: I don't really give a shit what the modern culture's take on things are. Look, I'll give you a good example of a tradition that people still observe on a specific date and nobody knows why. What does yanking a groundhog out of it's den have to do with anything? Nada. Feb. 1 marked the celebration of Imbolc, one of the cross-quarter festivals, it traditionally heralded the start of the spring quarter of the year and the end of the winter quarter. It was one of the four principal festivals of the Irish calendar, celebrated among Gaelic peoples and some other Celtic cultures. Since the vast majority of American settlers come from Celtic stock, we held onto the tradition even if we don't know why. Same thing for Halloween, same thing for Christmas.

Anyway, the summer solstice is the longest day(s) of the year, the winter solstice the longest night(s). The solstice is the peak of the cycle, the mid point. So think of the summer solstice as the beginning of summer, if you will, that's your perogative. In my book, and in the book of the vast majority of pagans and other cultures, world wide, the solstice marks the midpoint with May day, May 1, being the beginning of summer.

May Day (1 MAY) is a big celebration in my culture, although really lessened once the communist influenced killed a lot of culture under pressure of assimilation.

It is when men would go and erect "May Trees" in front of the homes of the girl they wanted to court. They would put all sorts of ribbons and adornments as gifts. If the woman accepted his gift she would give him wine and food and the family would allow him to court their daughter.

Funny thing that easter is also tied to courtship rituals in my culture. The day after easter (we call it "first day of easter") is when men would go to the woman they wanted to court and "water her like the flower that she is". It would consist of anything from literally sprinkling perfumed water to dumping buckets of water... Men would also "water" their mothers and sisters as a good natured joke. Many MANY years my brother and his bf would make the most stinky concoction possible and dump it all over me, my sister and my mother. LOL We STANK. It was really funny.

In my culture a woman had NO CONTROL over her destiny. If she was lucky enough to "get a good and attentive gardner" then she would bloom, grow and bring her gardner much pleasure and prosperity. If she was not so lucky then she would literally wilt under his touch.

May Day (1 MAY) is a big celebration in my culture, although really lessened once the communist influenced killed a lot of culture under pressure of assimilation.

It is when men would go and erect "May Trees" in front of the homes of the girl they wanted to court. They would put all sorts of ribbons and adornments as gifts. If the woman accepted his gift she would give him wine and food and the family would allow him to court their daughter.

Funny thing that easter is also tied to courtship rituals in my culture. The day after easter (we call it "first day of easter") is when men would go to the woman they wanted to court and "water her like the flower that she is". It would consist of anything from literally sprinkling perfumed water to dumping buckets of water... Men would also "water" their mothers and sisters as a good natured joke. Many MANY years my brother and his bf would make the most stinky concoction possible and dump it all over me, my sister and my mother. LOL We STANK. It was really funny.

In my culture a woman had NO CONTROL over her destiny. If she was lucky enough to "get a good gardner" then she would bloom and grow. If she was not so lucky then she would literally wilt under his touch.
May Day was the traditional celebration of the union of the God and Goddess so people did a LOT of fertility rites (maypole = giant phallus). Traditionally, however, you don't get married in May, since it is the wedding of the Gods.

Easter was tied to early fertility rites. The Germanic name was Ostara, after the Germanic Goddess of Dawn, fertility and renewal, who was responsible for bringing spring each year. There's a really sweet myth about her: Oestara was feeling horribly guilty about arriving late one year. To make matters even worse, the first thing she saw when she arrived was a pitiful little bird who lay dying, his wings frozen by the snow. The Goddess cradled the shivering creature and saved his life.

Legend has it that she then made him her pet or, in the adult-rated versions, her passionate lover. Filled with compassion for him since he could no longer fly because his wings had been so damaged by the frost, the Goddess turned him into a rabbit, a snow hare, and named him Lepus.

She also gave him the wonderful gift of being able to run with such astonishing speed that he could easily evade all the hunters. And to honor his earlier incarnation as a bird, she also gave him the ability to lay eggs (in all the colors of the rainbow, no less). He was, however, only allowed to lay eggs on one day out of each year. And that's why rabbits lay colorful eggs in good Christian children's Easter baskets, and no, I'm NOT making this up :)

May Day was the traditional celebration of the union of the God and Goddess so people did a LOT of fertility rites (maypole = giant phallus). Traditionally, however, you don't get married in May, since it is the wedding of the Gods.

Easter was tied to early fertility rites. The Germanic name was Ostara, after the Germanic Goddess of Dawn, fertility and renewal, who was responsible for bringing spring each year. There's a really sweet myth about her: Oestara was feeling horribly guilty about arriving late one year. To make matters even worse, the first thing she saw when she arrived was a pitiful little bird who lay dying, his wings frozen by the snow. The Goddess cradled the shivering creature and saved his life.

Legend has it that she then made him her pet or, in the adult-rated versions, her passionate lover. Filled with compassion for him since he could no longer fly because his wings had been so damaged by the frost, the Goddess turned him into a rabbit, a snow hare, and named him Lepus.

She also gave him the wonderful gift of being able to run with such astonishing speed that he could easily evade all the hunters. And to honor his earlier incarnation as a bird, she also gave him the ability to lay eggs (in all the colors of the rainbow, no less). He was, however, only allowed to lay eggs on one day out of each year. And that's why rabbits lay colorful eggs in good Christian children's Easter baskets, and no, I'm NOT making this up :)

Thanks for sharing that. Made me smile.

It's hard for me not having anyone around to share in/pass down the rituals and traditions that I was raised with. I should pass these on to my husband, but it just isn't the same as passing them onto your children. :( ...I've forgotten so much.

Top Bottom