Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
you're delusional

summer started last Sunday
Nope, summer started May 1. June 21 is the solstice, the midway point. The days started getting shorter June 25.

Nope, summer started May 1. June 21 is the solstice, the midway point. The days started getting shorter June 25.

what calendar are you on? must be different than this one:

In the Northern Hemisphere, based on astronomical definition, summer begins on the day of the June solstice, which is at 1:45 A.M. EDT on June 21, 2009.

In the Northern Hemisphere, based on astronomical definition, summer begins on the day of the June solstice, which is at 1:45 A.M. EDT on June 21, 2009.

You tell her Smurf

:sulk:

The summer solstice is also called midsummer (wiki it if you don't believe me). I saw the beginning of summer on May 1, we're halfway through summer in my book.

It's the way pagans (and some older, agriculturally based cultures) look at the calendar, both with the astronomical and harvest times. The dates correspond to times that are mostly still recognized or in some way celebrated in western culture.

Break the calendar up into a 4 quartered pie: October 31/December 21/Feb 1 encompasses the winter months, the end of autumn/beginning of winter is oct. 31 and the ending of winter, beginning of spring Feb. 1.

Feb 1/March 21/May 1 is the spring cycle, ending in summer.

May 1/June 21/August 1 is the summer cycle, ending in autumn.

August 1/Sept 21/October 31 brings us back around the wheel to the autumn cycle about to begin winter again.

wp69c5dba7.png

The summer solstice is also called midsummer (wiki it if you don't believe me).

June 21 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

June 21 is the 172nd day of the year (173rd in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 193 days remaining until the end of the year.

On non-leap years, this day marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere, and this is the day of the year with the longest hours of daylight in the northern hemisphere

June 21 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

June 21 is the 172nd day of the year (173rd in leap years) in the Gregorian calendar. There are 193 days remaining until the end of the year.

On non-leap years, this day marks the summer solstice in the northern hemisphere and the winter solstice in the southern hemisphere, and this is the day of the year with the longest hours of daylight in the northern hemisphere
Definitions of midsummer on the Web:

* summer solstice: June 21, when the sun is at its northernmost point

I'm looking at a calendar right now that notes sunrise/sunset times. On June 21, in my part of the country, the sun rose at 5:32 a.m. and set at 8:32 p.m. By July 21, the sun will rise at 5:49 and set at 8:25 p.m. The days are getting shorter.

If you think about what I'm telling you it's wayyyyyyy more logical (at least in the northern latitudes, everything's flipped in the southern latitude). Beginning of Winter - October 31, beginning of Spring - Feb. 1, beginning of summer - May 1, beginning of fall - August 1. The beginning of something isn't the peak, it builds up then hits the peak then falls off and starts the next cycle. Like a wave.

Definitions of midsummer on the Web:

* summer solstice: June 21, when the sun is at its northernmost point

I'm looking at a calendar right now that notes sunrise/sunset times. On June 21, in my part of the country, the sun rose at 5:32 a.m. and set at 8:32 p.m. By July 21, the sun will rise at 5:49 and set at 8:25 p.m. The days are getting shorter.

If you think about what I'm telling you it's wayyyyyyy more logical (at least in the northern latitudes, everything's flipped in the southern latitude). Beginning of Winter - October 31, beginning of Spring - Feb. 1, beginning of summer - May 1, beginning of fall - August 1. The beginning of something isn't the peak, it builds up then hits the peak then falls off and starts the next cycle. Like a wave.

midsummer: Definition from Answers.com

Astronomically, the summer solstice is 21 June, but tradition throughout Europe reckons 24 June as Midsummer Day, and calls the night of 23/4 Midsummer Eve, Midsummer Night, or St John's Eve, since 24 June is the feast of St John the Baptist. In England, the main folkloric features of the season were bonfires, processions, and divinations; it was the date for seeking the magical fernseed, or the ‘coal’ under the roots of mugwort.

^^^
even by this definition we're still nowhere near the midpoint :)

The summer solstice is also called midsummer (wiki it if you don't believe me). I saw the beginning of summer on May 1, we're halfway through summer in my book.

It's the way pagans (and some older, agriculturally based cultures) look at the calendar, both with the astronomical and harvest times. The dates correspond to times that are mostly still recognized or in some way celebrated in western culture.

Break the calendar up into a 4 quartered pie: October 31/December 21/Feb 1 encompasses the winter months, the end of autumn/beginning of winter is oct. 31 and the ending of winter, beginning of spring Feb. 1.

Feb 1/March 21/May 1 is the spring cycle, ending in summer.

May 1/June 21/August 1 is the summer cycle, ending in autumn.

August 1/Sept 21/October 31 brings us back around the wheel to the autumn cycle about to begin winter again.

wp69c5dba7.png

No proselytizing.

:)

Top Bottom