Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gloves, wrist wraps, both, neither?

Only use wraps when you need them, they are there to help you when you can't hold the bar any longer, you shopuldn't be using them for each set, or your gripping strength will never increase.

Lord_Suston said:
Only use wraps when you need them, they are there to help you when you can't hold the bar any longer, you shopuldn't be using them for each set, or your gripping strength will never increase.

That is why I try not to use wraps at all. However, at the same time I think some of my lifts (deadlift for example) may suffer because my grip strength can't keep up with the rest of my body. So its kind of a catch 22: use the wraps and lift heavier but your grip strength will suffer; or don't use the wraps and lift lighter but your grip strength will increase. I guess I should be working on my grip strength independently...

any more suggestions?
I'm running into the same problem, on deads my grip strength is failing before anything else........

I don't use straps or gloves. Try doing rack deads with high weight and just hold onto the bar for as long as you can. That is the best way to increase grip stength. On deads when I come back down I tend to hold a lighter weight for a count of 100 on my last set. This has greatly increased my grip strength.

:devil:
I don't wear gloves but I'll wrap my wrists for support. I'll also strap up when the weight goes beyond my grip strength. I don't believe that the larger muscle being trained should be limited by grip strength. It allows me to focus on the muscle being trained not the pain in the hand.

Thats a pretty good point Bigsatan. By the way, does anyone know of a place online (or even some national retailers) that sell wrist wraps (straps)? They seem like a pretty simple thing, I'm contemplating making a homemade pair.

Top Bottom