Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gloves, straps or chalk?

pechorin

Tired of having to readjust my grip on deadlifts because the bar slips plus the girlfriend isn't a fan of the rough skin haha which do people use and prefer? Cheers.

I use straps. Never liked chalk. Although I still have callouses, don't think either will get rid of those.

Tired of having to readjust my grip on deadlifts because the bar slips plus the girlfriend isn't a fan of the rough skin haha which do people use and prefer? Cheers.

Chalk always. You will never develop a death grip with straps and gloves are for sissys.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EliteFitness

I use both straps and gloves. Gloves keeps my hands from cracking and not having hands like sandpaper.
And straps well I am a bodybuilder not a powerlifter. My hands will give out long before I fatigue the muscle group enough.

And I am not a sissy cause I use gloves. When your over 200lbs at 5'7" on stage then you can call me a sissy.

none of the above. not trying to stir shit up so if you are sensitive then don't read the rest of my post ..

i used to wear gloves and my forearms and wrists didn't develop like the rest of my arm, so i ditched the gloves and now my forearms are huge.

i wouldn't call people who use gloves sissy's but it is newbish and it will become a handicap for you when you try to lift without them.

ironically it was on this very board a couple years back where we had a thread like this where everyone said to ditch the gloves, i never wore gloves back in the day but started wearing them for the sole purpose of not getting callouses, not a very good reason to wear them and i ditched them.

chalk you don't need either, just wipe your hands and the bar before lifting. if your palms and the bar are dry it won't do anything if you put chalk on except make an unnecessary mess.. and if you get sweaty palms then put chalk its just gonna stick to you and make a mess all over your clothes and you will have to put more chalk.. the guys that use chalk are always throwing on even more chalk for a reason.. cause it doesn't do shit unless you keep chalking up over and over!!! hence why chalk is banned in most non ghetto gyms..

straps you could make an arguement for but i have never had a need for them and I deadlift over 550. (got a hiatal hernia from it too) .. so lessen your weight and improve your form rather than trying to pull or push heavy weight with shitty form. you won't need straps if you do that

the only thing i take with me to the gym is my bottled water and headphones, only cause the music they play at the gym is atrociously bad. the original golds gym back in the day music was BANNED in the gym. you went there to lift weights period. now you got these young kids taking gloves, straps, wraps, belts, chalk, and half of the sports store with them and spending half their time socializing and hitting on every petite girl in there talking about how wasted they got the night before. I'm lucky though cause the gym i go to has very few douchebags in it, most of the guys are serious.

Last edited:
I never use Gloves or chalk. I do use straps when I need to concentrate more on a specific muscle group (ie: Back or traps), but I don't always use them. Grip strength will really increase when you leave them out. Bare hand lifting is the way to go 90% of the time IMO

Depends on your goals in my opinion.. If your bodybuilding then grip strength doesnt matter imo. But if you powerlift then id say get the best grip strength you can have

I use to use straps when I deadlifted, power shrugged, etc. but now I use chalk and my grip has improved so much more. I'm one that suffers from sweaty hands and even if I dry them they will soon sweat up again, normally halfway through a set! :)
It is messy but I train at home so what the hell! Dnt care if I'm covered in chalk.:):) Just my opinion. Suppose it's just personal preference.

I use both straps and gloves. Gloves keeps my hands from cracking and not having hands like sandpaper.
And straps well I am a bodybuilder not a powerlifter. My hands will give out long before I fatigue the muscle group enough.

And I am not a sissy cause I use gloves. When your over 200lbs at 5'7" on stage then you can call me a sissy.

i didnt know doing a posing routine all oiled up and painted brown made you tough...

Wow some real hatred for gym accessories here, I have ridiculously sweaty hands, I get about 2 in before I have to readjust my grip so need something...

Top Bottom