Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Fifth-Grader Expelled........ for Drawing Guns!

Damn they would have called out swat on my ass, I use to draw "Battle" scenes in note books all the time. Planes / Bombs going off / little soldiers getting wacked. Etc....

Do you know what kind of drama this is going to cause this kid. I mean being handcuffed in front of his 5th grade classmates.

They may have done more damage than was good.

That article is disturbing. If I was that kid, I'd be looking for some payback.

The School has every right to protect its other students from even the slightest material disruption---the Supreme Court itself has ruled this.

This was very smart for the schools to do.....kids should not be drawing guns when there is nothing but harm that can possibly come from them.

I hope other schools follow this wise decision.....They certaintly can, since it is within their authority to do so......see Supreme Court case called "Tinker"

plifter said:
Dang ol free country my ass, wouldn't pictures of guns be protected under the 1st Amendment. How dare any one bring aspirin to school. Isn't there anyone left with any common sense?

Nope Kids do not enjoy full privileges of the First Amendment while in school.....they are limited if the school feels the students actions could cause a "material disruption." A wise decision from the Supreme Court.......

RyanH said:
kids should not be drawing guns when there is nothing but harm that can possibly come from them.

Like what? Papercuts? LOL

Don't worry. I don't plan to debate this issue with you. I just wanted to see what strange concoction of animal feces you would present as an argument in favor of the school.

Again, I'm impressed.

-Warik

ryan that is crazy. it's a DRAWING!!How can that be a threat???it's paper and pencil. If that was my kid I'd have everyone involved in that decession their ass on a silver platter.

If the kid is not causing a Physical disruption by dressing, or acting in a manner to take away from the classroom then the supreme court has said they can't infringe upon the individuality of that student.

how can a drawing be considered a physical or acting disruption? The only way I see it, unless the kids around him were being nosy and looking at his drawings and not working on their own it's their fault for disturbing the class not his. It doesn't seem that he was trying to show off the drawing but rather the teacher did.

Why not kick the teacher out for the disruption...Cause it's all BULLSHIT

Why should a kid be allowed to draw a pic of a gun when there are so many other things he could draw. Many parents teach their kids the wrong priorities and sometimes its up to the schools to correct mistakes of parents.....

The Supreme Courts "material disruption" standard can be any sort of disruption. There have been cases where a student's profane speech has been deemed a "material disruption." It is certainly probable that a child's drawings of guns is within the school's fear of a "material disruption," to make the drawing prohibitive.

It's every parents God given right to teach their kids what priorites are right and wrong. It's not the Governments place to teach them right and wrong, it's not the schools place to teach them right and wrong, it's the parents

If a parent teaches his kids guns are right, then who are you and I to say they wrong. Thats not our place and it's wrong for anyone to say it is.

As a society we can pretty much agree that it would be wrong for a parent to teach their children how to physically harm someone, and we agree that it's wrong to teach them hatred. But they have that right to do so. Unless the kid causes a physical harm to someone or someones property that parents rights to teach that child are going to be protected no matter how much we might dissagree

TXCollegeGuy----do you really believe a parent should have unfettered discretion to teach their kids anything he or she believes? Is it right for a Jehovah's Witness parent to mandate that their sick child not receive a blood transfusion b/c of that parent's religious opposition to it? Is it right for a Christian scientist to require their child receive spirtual healing from the church as opposed to routine medical care?

The Courts have consistently overruled parental decisions when those decisions can cause detriment to the child. Here, their is a great possibility that a child this young who is drawing pics of gun, might, in fact, turn those drawings into something more.

Schools have the right, especially considering the recent school shootings, to deter even the sight of guns.

Top Bottom