Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Few more questions for you guys!

wanderlust

First of all, thanks for answering my newb questions! Here are some more.

1) When benching, my partner bounces off his chest to get the first 2 or 3 inches on the way back up. I bring the weight down all the way so it touches my chest but I don't bounce at all. He does more weight, even though I am stronger than he is in most other exercises. Which way is right?

2) I have done pretty much no ab work. I want to start deadlifting for my back and hamstrings since for some reason leg curls just don't get me going. Will this be dangerous, should I get a month of good ab first, or just deadlift quite light at first?

3) On biceps+back day, my bis get SO FUCKING sore the next day, but I can never get that nice feeling in my tris or shoulders (back+chest get fairly sore). Or is soreness not a good indicator (remember I'm a newbie).

Here's my routine. Please critique!! I basically try to get 5-8 reps in, even if I need to be spotted. If I can do the first 2 by myself I don't go down to lower weight. Critique :)

Monday
3 sets seated row, about 150 lbs (machine)
3 sets lat pulls, about 130 lbs (machine)
3 sets one arm bent over dumbell rows, 35 lbs each arm (free)
3 sets preacher curls, about 65 lbs (free)

Tuesday
3 sets squats, about 300 lbs (but on a sled machine, so I am not adding body weight to that)
3 sets leg extensions
3 sets leg curls
3 sets calf raises
3 sets of hip flexor, glute, addductor and abductor on the standing hip machine

Wednesday
3 sets flat bench, about 135 lbs (free)
3 sets inclined bench, about 100 lbs (free)
3 sets declined bench, about 135 lbs (free)
3 sets tricep pulldowns, about 45 lbs (machine)

Thursday
off - cardio

Friday
I'm going to start doing abs this week

Saturday
3 sets each of dumbell shoulder lifts in front and to the sides, 12 lbs each arm
3 sets on deltoid machine
3 sets military press, about 75 lbs, on one of those self-spotting devices

Sunday
off - cardio

Thanks for your help guys. In the short time since I have started lifting I feel a LOT better, seem to have more energy during workouts and during the day!

edit: one more question, can you recommend some exercises for the rear delts?

2nd edit: lol, another. Are warmup sets useful, and which exercises do you do them with, and what % of your workout weight?

Last edited:
1. Do not bounce the bar while benching. That's pointless ego-feeding and it's begging for an injury.

2. Go ahead, start deadlifting.

3. Don't get hung up on achieving soreness. For instance, my delts almost never get sore but they've made good improvements lately. If you are seeing gains, you are okay.

Your routine looks pretty good but here's a few suggestions:

- Try to work 2 on, 1 off, 2 on, 2 off.....instead of working 3 days in a row like you are now. This'll be easier on your nervous system in making adaptions, especially as a newbie.

- Are you not hitting your traps at all? I would suggest a couple sets DB and BB shrugs apiece on either back or shoulder day, whichever is more convenient for you. I prefer doing traps with delts because I get an awesome pump that way but do it either way.

- Rear delts are one of the hardest bodyparts to isolate. Some like to train them with back, some with delts. I prefer the latter but either way is fine. Again, experiment a little and find out which way feels best to you. Heavy overhanded T-bars toast them good for me. Also, bent-over lateral raises (on the cable or free-weight DB's) will hit them good.

Best of luck wanderlust. :)

I'm with Genetiking on this one.

For rear delts you could do a bent over flyes, Standing crucifictions, or the rear delt - pec dec machine.

Top Bottom