Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Feeling OLD (bought a new TV last night)

Pretty much any TV over 32" that is 2013 or newer is going to be a smart TV. The prices dropped drastically this year and they are dropping more and more as we approach Xmas.

We did actually use Netflix on it, just to see how it is, and it's nowhere near the definition of HDTV; at least at the setting for a reasonable file size. And where we are, there's no unlimited internet data, so it's TOO COSTLY to download or stream anything. Also, the wifi kept cutting in & out, so I had to stretch an ethernet cable from the livingroom to the kitchen where the router is. Even if the TV is right next to the wifi hub, it's too unstable. Hassle.

But I have to say I like the picture quality, an it doesn't act like a furnace and heat up the whole house, like the Sony plasma 61" KE-61XBR950 does.

Charles

We did actually use Netflix on it, just to see how it is, and it's nowhere near the definition of HDTV; at least at the setting for a reasonable file size. And where we are, there's no unlimited internet data, so it's TOO COSTLY to download or stream anything. Also, the wifi kept cutting in & out, so I had to stretch an ethernet cable from the livingroom to the kitchen where the router is. Even if the TV is right next to the wifi hub, it's too unstable. Hassle.

But I have to say I like the picture quality, an it doesn't act like a furnace and heat up the whole house, like the Sony plasma 61" KE-61XBR950 does.

Charles

just hard wire it then. Get up in your attic and drill a hole in the top plate of the wall your tv is on, and then put a cut in box behind the tv in the sheet rock. Fish tape the ethernet cable down through the wall and plug it in the tv. Do the same on the other end w/the room w/the router.

boom! problem solved.

just hard wire it then. Get up in your attic and drill a hole in the top plate of the wall your tv is on, and then put a cut in box behind the tv in the sheet rock. Fish tape the ethernet cable down through the wall and plug it in the tv. Do the same on the other end w/the room w/the router.

boom! problem solved.

I wish it were that easy… I can hook up an ethernet cable from the TV to the router directly/no problem… The problem is that we're not in an area where any kind of hardwired internet access is available (no cable TV, no phone wires for DSL, etc), so it's just an ethernet cable to a cellphone modem. The only "unlimited" data internet service we have, is a UHF radio linkup to the Reagan Library, where the main router is installed. It's a small privately-owned ISP that serves the area where our ranch is. At least we're a primary relay station with a direct link to the library… Most of our neighbors are sub-links to ours. The best speed is MAYBE 1.5Mbps. The only access we have with enough speed for TV, is Verizon Home Fusion (cellphone link). And it's the one that racked up the huge overage in data for a few low-def TV shows and a few iPhone-cloud backups.

At my in-laws' place in Jacksboro, TX, you're lucky to get one eMail to open in 10 minutes….. WITHOUT any pictures! At least it's not as bad as that.

*We tried HughesNet and another useless satellite internet service, and those were a joke.

Charles

Top Bottom