Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

does swimming stamina carry over to running stamina and vice versa?

Clean said:
ok, so if you don't need to use your legs or your arms, what would you use???

I know technique is the most important, coaches will worry about that the most and we used to use fins, booeys, paddles, kickboards, etc...all working on our stroke.
We even had an underwater camera that we would use and then watch to improve streamline, etc...

Legs is one of the most important body parts in swimming. Once you get your kick down, this being technique, then comes training. Why do you think coaches make the swimmers do laps of kicking on boards, underwater kicking, and all out sprints with fins? To work on kick! With out a solid kick you will go nowhere in the pool. If you had no arms and a great kick, you would still be able to go somewhere.

It upsets me that you keep saying these things. Like you don't really need to use your legs?

My coach used to train pro football players, so I think he knew what he was doing. He didn't train them to play football, but trained them in the pool.

In those videos, it may look like they aren't using their legs, but they have a constant kick. Once you get a technique down, you need to train your body to be able to keep doing those things, while thinking about your technique subconciously.

I guess I am more worried about swimming fast, but even for aerobic or anaerobic swimming, you must maintain a kick, usually a 6 beat kick. I doubt anyone on this board who didn't used to be a swimmer could do that. That is 6 kicks per arm stroke.

What you use is your core - back and abdominal muscles.

His question was whether swiming endurance translates into running endurance and no, if so only minimally because swiming is overwhelmingly a technique thing and because you barely get out of zone one.

:( I must have really bad technique then. When i was a kid we always use to race and i usually won in then pool. and i never used my legs much they just were along for the ride ...

so what should you do to fix that just get something that floats and put your hands on it and just use your legs ?

Swimming uses ALL the body parts. The shorter the distances you swim, the less your running backround comes into effect...whereas if you swim 500 meters than a strong running backround will help a lot. As for swimming benefits running, it does! It's one of the best cross trainers for runners. Their are very little injuries in swimming, and swimming benefits female runners especially because female runners tend to have hip injuries. Also anyone who has done a long swim workout (4000 + meters) should know that swimmers gain excellent endurance.

Synpax said:
What you use is your core - back and abdominal muscles.

His question was whether swiming endurance translates into running endurance and no, if so only minimally because swiming is overwhelmingly a technique thing and because you barely get out of zone one.

dude what are you talking about? maybe if you are floating youll never get out of zone 1. If you "swim properly" as you put it, youll use your entire body(legs, core muscles, arms, chest, shoulders , back etc). Swimming endurance definately translates into running endurance. Of course the muscles are being used differently so youll probably feel abnormal discomfort at first (like when changing from any activity to another)but youll get used it. All the endurance and strength from swimming will definately help your running.
Ive swam competetively for 10+ years. Ive competed in triathalons, and done all sorts of cross training. Ive got plenty of experience with both running and swimming. My heart rate while swimming is anywhere from 120-200. (depending on what you are doing...typical main set heart rate is 165+ )

of course technique is important...but so is endurance, lactic tolerance ..anaerobic and aerobic power etc etc etc. There are plenty of injuries in swimming (with bad technique..and possibly from flip turns/touches..hey it happens). If there was no strain on the body you wouldnt see swimmers with shoulder injuries, knee injuries etc. Its definately not gonna be as hard on the joints as running but over use (or bad technique) still breaks shit down. If there was no strain bad technique wouldnt cause injuries.

swimmers have decently wide shoulders , big lats and tris etc...from no work, right? cause all you need is technique and core strength. LOL. I dunno if you are doing this to try and get a rise out of people or what but you are completely lost if thats what you think. My swim training kept me in better shape then anything else ive ever done (and ive done lots of sports). I was in shape for anything I did from the training I did in the pool.

You think Olympic swimmers are relying solely on their technique and core muscle strength to propel themselves through the pool?

:rolleyes:

http://buehlerbluemarlins.net/videos/athens2004/hall2004a.mpg

he moves real fast for ONLY using his core muscles. :chomp:
if core muscles were all that were needed why would strength training be incorperated into the training program?

The only misinfo in here is what your are posting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom