Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

does anyone here do crossfit?

Air squats = awesome. I had no idea until I started doing them too.

Air squats = awesome. I had no idea until I started doing them too.

have you seen some of the videos there? some of the clips of people doing air squats are cringy. They're just dropping down and bouncing off of their heels. i don't agree with some of the ballistic techniques they utilize there even if it is only body weight.

have you seen some of the videos there? some of the clips of people doing air squats are cringy. They're just dropping down and bouncing off of their heels. i don't agree with some of the ballistic techniques they utilize there even if it is only body weight.

Ya Ive watched a bunch. I dont buy into some of that stuff (the kipling or whatever pullup method, for instance).

My only thing with Crossfit is that they allow weekend warriors and beginners to do it when they have no business doing those types of workouts. There are videos on youtube that make me want to call an ambulance for the poor people.

Someone who hits the gym regularly, has a good solid structure and knows how to lift and move their body properly, no problem. But when you throw a kettlebell at Wally Weekend and have him suddenly do 100 reps until he dies it's just not a good thing IMO.

My only thing with Crossfit is that they allow weekend warriors and beginners to do it when they have no business doing those types of workouts. There are videos on youtube that make me want to call an ambulance for the poor people.

Someone who hits the gym regularly, has a good solid structure and knows how to lift and move their body properly, no problem. But when you throw a kettlebell at Wally Weekend and have him suddenly do 100 reps until he dies it's just not a good thing IMO.

I had this very argument with my friend. He wants to follow those workouts "to the T". He's about 200 pounds and in good shape with "decent" strength. He actually looks stronger than he is. I think that might be creating a fantasy for him that he can attempt some of these workouts. Our CF coach is ridiculous, but he has the perfect build for these kinds of workouts. He's been to the regional finals and is nationally ranked by crossfit or something like that. My boy thinks he can follow in the same path but I'm trying to tell him that when they trained the cast of 300, they didn't train them by letting them go through the full workout...they trained individual excercises till they got the actors to a proximate threshold. What people don't know is that actors only attempted that full workout once, at the end of their training camp. My problem with crossfit is that they don't offer "ANY" sort of structured advice on how to ease into these workouts. Letting a noob attempt Fran is utterly insane, borderline criminally negligent if the noob is well over 200 pounds and not an experienced lifter cause he's going to be "attempting" the bench and deadlift at near maximal weights for something like 60 reps overall during the course of the workout. I've been lifting for 15 years and am pretty damn strong but even I said forget it when I did the calculations of the weight I'd have to be using if I did the workout to the "T". They have Simmons advising them so it would be nice if they went to him and asked his advice on structuring the percentages for different levels of lifters. You have alot of big boys like myself who have been lifting heavy weights for years and have some mass on them and you're expecting that they keep up with 150 pound guys.

also onebreath and ironwings will give you good feedback as they both have experience with crossfit.

i did a couple of sessions of a routine ironwings posted up. i almost died....both times. and it was a beginners routine i think.

I had this very argument with my friend. He wants to follow those workouts "to the T". He's about 200 pounds and in good shape with "decent" strength. He actually looks stronger than he is. I think that might be creating a fantasy for him that he can attempt some of these workouts. Our CF coach is ridiculous, but he has the perfect build for these kinds of workouts. He's been to the regional finals and is nationally ranked by crossfit or something like that. My boy thinks he can follow in the same path but I'm trying to tell him that when they trained the cast of 300, they didn't train them by letting them go through the full workout...they trained individual excercises till they got the actors to a proximate threshold. What people don't know is that actors only attempted that full workout once, at the end of their training camp. My problem with crossfit is that they don't offer "ANY" sort of structured advice on how to ease into these workouts. Letting a noob attempt Fran is utterly insane, borderline criminally negligent if the noob is well over 200 pounds and not an experienced lifter cause he's going to be "attempting" the bench and deadlift at near maximal weights for something like 60 reps overall during the course of the workout. I've been lifting for 15 years and am pretty damn strong but even I said forget it when I did the calculations of the weight I'd have to be using if I did the workout to the "T". They have Simmons advising them so it would be nice if they went to him and asked his advice on structuring the percentages for different levels of lifters. You have alot of big boys like myself who have been lifting heavy weights for years and have some mass on them and you're expecting that they keep up with 150 pound guys.

Look into Brand X scaled workouts.

When I first joined crossfit a few months ago, we had to go through the "on ramp class" first. This is a class where for one month, is nothing but instruction, technique and a lite workout. Granted a month is not that long but it helped get the motions down. Even afterwards I was always told to go lite even though I thought I was ready to go heavy. So far I think its great. I play a lot of sports and this really has improved me. It may also depend on your trainer, mine stressed going lite until you learn the technique. Best workouts I ever had.

Top Bottom