Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Do people just offer to spot you out of the blue?

Seashell

El Kabong
Platinum
I was all ready to squat, this past Saturday..

I went to get a sip of water first, and a guy stops me on my way back to the power rack and asks if I want him to spot me. I politely declined but I thought it was kind of odd. It'd be one thing if I was looking around like I wanted a spotter, but I had my head down, was focused and in my own little world. Is that weird, or normal?

I often ask people if they want a spot if I feel they're doing more weight than they can reasonably handle though I would never ask someone who looked bigger or more experienced than me if they wanted a spot because I think it's sort of insulting.

At my university gym, everyone has terrible form/ego lifts so I'd rather take one minute out of my day to help people out than watch them get stuck with a bar on their chest or, worse, tear something.

I couldn't tell if he was offering out of concern for my spine, what with the INSANE amount of weight I had on the bar. :D

.. or if he was being a perv and just wanted me to sit in his lap for 8 reps... :rolleyes:

I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but I wanted to know if people offer to spot during squats in everyone else's gyms?

Seashell said:
I couldn't tell if he was offering out of concern for my spine, what with the INSANE amount of weight I had on the bar. :D

.. or if he was being a perv and just wanted me to sit in his lap for 8 reps... :rolleyes:

I gave him the benefit of the doubt, but I wanted to know if people offer to spot during squats in everyone else's gyms?

Oh yeah I do this all the time for woman, but only when I am wearing my supertight spandex shorts ;) :p

You're a female, it's different. He just wanted to be behind you when you squat down. :p

-sk

Typically people stay away from me in the gym, except the people who know me, which is just fine with me.

Cheers,
Scotsman

Top Bottom