Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Corrective jaw surgery tomorrow --- can't workout for 2 weeks.

plornive said:
What is super-compensation training? Too late now, but is it just lifing really hard and frequently and basically overtraining for a week?

Yeah that's basically it in a nutshell. You just workout splitting your body into 2 workouts alternating everyday for a week or so. Then you take a [well deserved] week off and eat right. I've read that a lot of people use this technique to break through plateus.

By the way, I think them using coritisol in this case was again just for it's very potent anti-inflammatory properties. Good luck with your recovery!

Thanks for the replies. I am recovering well so far. I'm more confident I won't lose much from this fiasco. I now have titanium plates permanently in my upper jaw that the bone will grow around.

OK, I am wondering what my jaw surgery does to my protein and calcium requirements. I am currently taking about 2 times the RDA of calcium in milk and other foods. My protein intake is about 200g. I'm around 160-165 (varies). Should I increase protein even more because of all of the tissue repair? I'm eating about maintenance calories.

I'm not expert here, but I doubt that the [relatively] small amount of tissue trauma that occured from the surgery warrants actually upping your protein requirements. I suppose upping Calcium can't do any harm. By the way, nice Avatar... welcome to the 500 club! later

Hey dude-good luck with the recovery! The cortisol will keep down tissue swelling which will help you to heal faster. It will also strip needed aminos(mostly L-glutamine, the most anti-catabolic amino you can take) from your muscle to free them up to repair any tissue damage in your body-in your case your jaw muscles. Don't dispair-your already taking a huge dose of protein for someone who is taking a break from training, so you should be fine. As far as muscle loss goes, it should be extremely minimal, if at all. Studies show that a one month lay-off only decreases 1-rep max around 1-2%. However muscle endurence starts to go to shit after a week/10 days of detraining. Which means that when you get back the first couple of sets will go fine, then your reps will be less on the sets afterwards. Don't worry, hell it seems to me that everytime I take a week break I set all new personal records my second week back.

Hey man, I've gone through the same operation and am about 1.5 months post-op and am desperate to train as I have stopped all together. My doctor says that I'm not allowed to train for 6 months total so 4.5 months left due to the pressure it puts on the jaw. So i have pretty much accepted my fate. He also says that I'm not allowed to play other sports such as soccer for the risk of contact with my jaw, but ive been playing anyway.. The way I'm seeing it is i cant avoid the pressure from the weights but i can avoid body/ball contact to an extent..

But I have now come across your post and am extremely curious as to how you were allowed to train 2 weeks post-op and if there were any differences between your situation and mine.

I know I am a more than decade late to your post but hopefully you still frequent this site and post a reply.

Cheers!

Top Bottom