Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

calories to lose, maintain

skinnyfat

Are the calories it takes to maintain a certain weight the same as what it takes to get to that weight. Ex, if I maintained a weight 15 lbs lighter by eating 2700-3000 kcals, when I start cutting, do I start eating 2700, or do I need to eat even less to get to that weight?

I have always used the philosophy, eat like the weight you want. When I was 130, and wanted to be 150, I ate like I was 150, and vice versa, but that is what works for me :) You need to experiment and find out what works for you. Alot of people will need to make smaller steps, instead of the 20lbs, try 5lb increments, and when you reach that 5lb goal, do the next 5lbs. Just a thought :)

Spatterson, I swear you have some great information!

I assume that you cut on the 60% protein diet. I have a slight problem, though. When I eat high protein, I develop very bad carbohydrate cravings and tend to binge. This is how I gained the 15 lbs I'm now trying to lose. I seemed to be much more under control when I allowed myself reasonable amounts of beans and oatmeal and a lot of vegetables--here we go with the whole fiber thing again!!

My diet to get lean was typically:

1. Oatmeal and a protein shake

2. A piece of fruit; maybe some cottage cheese

3. A TON of salad topped with about a cup of lentils or beans

4. A protein bar, sometimes with a heavy dose of carbs in it

5. Dinner along the lines of lunch, with extra cooked vegetables (spinach or cauliflower usually cooked with a tsp of oil and a lot of spices). Sometimes I would have some type of lean meat instead of the beans

6. Protein shake

I changed my diet to pretty much eliminate the lentils and replaced them with grilled chicken or fish, and was able to get very lean, but I started to binge more. Somehow, meat doesn't satisfy me.

Anyway, do I just need to get tougher? Also, considering that a lot of the first few pounds of weight are water, what's a good timeframe to shoot for?

spatterson said:
Here's my cutting diet (it's about half-way down the thread):

http://boards.elitefitness.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=60798

BTW, it wasn't the carb cravings that caused you to gain 15, it was GIVING IN to your carb cravings that caused it. Perhaps more cals, more fat, and more water would take care of that.

ahhhhhh shiat!! simply genius! spatts... u know what... i remember reading something u posted on an old thread about cravings. u said that it was most likely dehydration. well...the other day i was craving carbs like a serious MOFO..i mean, shit was baaaaad. then i realized that i hadnt had enough water for that day.... i chugged some water and walla...no more cravings! :)
Also... man oh man...ive read ur "cutting diet" a thousand times,... even cut and paste that mutha for my own personal reference but i cant help but fear its too much food for me. what do u think? At the time u started that...u were heavier than i am now which means u needed more food correct? im 135 now but would like to shed the fat baby. Ive gained 12 pounds since my cycle started so im happy. I can tell ive gained a nice amount of muscle but i still have some flub goin on. i havent worried too much about it... just been trying to eat a lot of clean foods and pack the muscle on..now im gettin a little impatient and uneasy with this "full" look.

When you got down to 147, did you eat the same amount to maintain the weight that you ate to get down to the weight, or did you eat more? I'm confused because I don't know If I should go back to the caloric intake that I ate when I was maintaining a lower weight, or if I should go down even further, because I need to actually lose weight first off.

Dont take your caloric intake too low....you will SLOW your metabolism down..and begin a vicious cycle of putting weight on and off w/ no consistency. Dont be so concerend about numbers....amount of calories...weight etc...took me a long time to figure that out. I could give a shit how much I weigh now..as long as i like what i see in the mirror, and what my bf% is that is how i judge what i need to do...i dont count calories...I eat 6 times a day...clean sources of protein and carbs. On days I workout I eat more carbs than on days I do not work out. You have to play around w/ it and see what works...everyone on here would react differently to any diet someone posted on here...so what works for spatts may not work for you. We sometimes make it more complex than it really is.

I must be doing something wrong! I'm told I carry alot of muscle on my frame but there is no way I could eat that much without blowing up!!! I want to eat that many calories too!!!

Ditto to what everyone else has said, but I'd like to mention that muscle burns many more calories than water or fat weight (duh).:rolleyes: So remember, it makes no difference WHAT you weigh... LBM and activity level will dictate calorie requirement. :D

:destroy:

spatterson said:
Well, I'm not sure KB. Play with it, and see what works for you. I usually ended up coming out HIGHER than that. Like I said before, when it comes to fat loss, the number of cals never meant as much to me as the number of carbs. I eat about 3500-4000 cals a day now. When I was using that diet I ended up at about 12% and 147 pounds. I decided I wanted more muscle before going any further down in bodyfat, and I stopped the cutting diet at that point. I'm about 16% and 157 now, and have held steady at 16% for about 2 1/2 months, while adding those 10 pounds.

ohhhh man... u mean i actually have to use my own brain and figure this one out on my own now!?;) So u cant just tell me EXACTLY what to do and eat ...then i just follow it and become this superstar?!!? this is not the way the BB world works spatts:confused: :bawling:
ok..now on a serious note... yea i know... ive been playing with it. I never really counted calories. i just eat 5-6 meals a day...nice clean foods, most of the time! if anything, i should count just to make sure im eating enough. Anywho...i wont sweat it too much... just keep doin my thang and ill see u all on the stage in a couple of yrs! now im off to eat a shitload of tuna! oh yea baby! thats what im talkin bout!:)

Spatterson,

So once you reached your goal weight, you would have increased calories if you wanted to maintain? I ask this because I was maintaining 143 at about 2800-3000 kcals. Now, I'm eating about 3500, and weigh about 158. However, I look a lot worse--even my face and ankles are fat! Plus, my waist is bigger. If I go back to my old caloric intake, will I simply maintain this fat and bloated look, or will I go back to my old weight? Or do I have to eat maybe 2200 kcals to get there first, before going back to normal?

Also, what kind of time frame am I looking at, considering that I am pretty water-logged right now, and I had maintained 143 for about 1.5 years? I've heard that the first 5-10 lbs come off pretty fast.

Top Bottom