Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Cable Low Row - do you use it? Come on in!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daisy_Girl said:
These are the two I use the most .....

I also like using the 2 separate handles together. The handles are the ones that most people use to work one side at a time. I link both in and pull together.

I don't have the W shaped attachment - I forgot about that one, I liked it.

If you use two handles together, be sure to rotate your pinkys out when you stretch. Then rotate thumbs out when pulling. It'll help to open up and stretch your scapula. Also be sure to really pinch on the top of your concentric move. I put my fingers on hoteach's back and make sure she pinch's them.

There is another variation that Future and I use. They're called "hump back cable rows" or as he would call them "Tami Rows". Using the close grip you lean forward and round your back. Start at a full stretch with arms straight and then pull back to your kneecaps. You don't sit up at all while doing these. They work GREAT for lats.

The Shadow said:
Yeppers...

GENERAL RULE:

WIDE GRIP = INNER BACK
CLOSER GRIP = OUTER LATS

LOW ANGLE OF PULL = LOWER ON BACK
HIGH ANGLE OF PULL = RHOM/REAR DELTS

Those are GENERAL rules

I am actually gonna disagree with the general rule you are stating. I would state that a wider grip tends to work more of the insertion point of the lat thus giving the concept of working the outer portion.

My thoughts are rowing movements tend to work the general mass of the back while a stretching movement like a pulldown or pullover tends to work the width.

nsashbl01 said:
If you use two handles together, be sure to rotate your pinkys out when you stretch. Then rotate thumbs out when pulling. It'll help to open up and stretch your scapula. Also be sure to really pinch on the top of your concentric move. I put my fingers on hoteach's back and make sure she pinch's them.

I do that to some degree - I will work on more rotation though. Good point. :)

Scorpio's method is good for the stretch but be carefull with a rounded back with any amount of weight. If yo all remember Elana, she ended up with a bulging disk from similar movements.

P and I do many things for lats with cables. That and pullups is what gave her the new lats she's carrying.

Tami rows would be something in a higher rep range. The back isnt as rounded as you might think. But obviously you have to be careful.

nsashbl01 said:
Scorpio's method is good for the stretch but be carefull with a rounded back with any amount of weight. If yo all remember Elana, she ended up with a bulging disk from similar movements.

P and I do many things for lats with cables. That and pullups is what gave her the new lats she's carrying.
My back blew up with a lot of wide grip work, chins, rows, pulldowns, wide wide wide.
I miss Elana catch her over on IT

The_Future said:
I am actually gonna disagree with the general rule you are stating. I would state that a wider grip tends to work more of the insertion point of the lat thus giving the concept of working the outer portion.

My thoughts are rowing movements tend to work the general mass of the back while a stretching movement like a pulldown or pullover tends to work the width.

I'm not going to get into this but I think its worth noting the difference between the lats and the midback(traps etc)......as stated and confirmed with emg analysis - a seated row is a pretty good choice for mid-back development......

Do this.......take a regular grip and a typical seated row handle(saddle) - pull into stomach and try to flex the midback.

Now take a wide grip on a straight bar and pull a bit higher into the sternum and flex mid back.

You cant compare wide-grip pulldowns and compare the same grip on seated rows and assume the outcome is the same....It wont be - as the AOP(angle of pull) is totally different.

a pulldown is not a stretch position for the lats btw - it has to be a position where the arms are extended above AND behind(posterior) the head

Saying that rows = mass and pulldowns = width is a bit too simplistic.

Hand grips, angles of pull, and rotation or non rotation of shoulder blades and even the amount of wegith as a % maximum all make an impact on the details of where the target area get hit.

Do some widegrip curls to failure

DO some close grip curls to failure

then compare the areas of soreness

....what about angles as they involve foot position on leg exercises??

Toes in??

Toes out??

Does that make a difference??

Yes it does...emg confirms this....same applies to ALL muscle groups

The Shadow said:
I'm not going to get into this but I think its worth noting the difference between the lats and the midback(traps etc)......as stated and confirmed with emg analysis - a seated row is a pretty good choice for mid-back development......

Do this.......take a regular grip and a typical seated row handle(saddle) - pull into stomach and try to flex the midback.

Now take a wide grip on a straight bar and pull a bit higher into the sternum and flex mid back.

You cant compare wide-grip pulldowns and compare the same grip on seated rows and assume the outcome is the same....It wont be - as the AOP(angle of pull) is totally different.

a pulldown is not a stretch position for the lats btw - it has to be a position where the arms are extended above AND behind(posterior) the head

Saying that rows = mass and pulldowns = width is a bit too simplistic.

Hand grips, angles of pull, and rotation or non rotation of shoulder blades and even the amount of wegith as a % maximum all make an impact on the details of where the target area get hit.

Do some widegrip curls to failure

DO some close grip curls to failure

then compare the areas of soreness

....what about angles as they involve foot position on leg exercises??

Toes in??

Toes out??

Does that make a difference??

Yes it does...emg confirms this....same applies to ALL muscle groups

I would say a pulldown (at the top of the rep) would def be a stretch. I can feel it every time. In any case, we all have our own methods and opinions. I don't think any of them are wrong unless injury is a factor. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom