Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

Did day 2 of the program and i felt very taxed after my third set of deads during the volume phase. Is it ok to drop the deads to 3x5 even though i can not deadlift 2x my bodyweight.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

SublimeZM said:
madcow-

i failed on the intensity portion...i got 2 (and i guess a half) reps instead of the 3.

i think it was more of a mental issue than a strength issue, but anyway, how do i go about dealing with this

do i
1) do the same weight next week and get 3
2) take off five pounds and try
3) add 5 pounds to the weight(instead of usual greater increases), even though i failed, so this way i increase a little bit, without going too far ahead
If next week is week7 then I'd say repeat the weight. If next week is week8 or week9 then do as much as you think you can.

Topside said:
Did day 2 of the program and i felt very taxed after my third set of deads during the volume phase. Is it ok to drop the deads to 3x5 even though i can not deadlift 2x my bodyweight.
By 'day2' I assume you mean 'day2, week1'. Drop the weight rather than the reps unless you know that you get particularly knackered by deads or are up near 2x bodyweight.

You shouldn't be using so much weight in the first week that you feel worn out by the weight rather than the volume. The first week is mostly about warning your body that it's in for some work over the next few weeks. The second week you should be lining yourself up, weightwise, to be able to make a reasonable leap to be hitting or slightly bettering old best 5x5 lifts, or estimates, in week3. It sounds like you're pushing too hard in week1.

Think of the first four weeks as easy, medium, hard, harder.

devilman13 said:
Ok so instead of deadlifts do cleans and do military as sep. exercise?...ex. day2 is squats, military, pullups and cleans right?

Also, as I am finishing up a cycle and would like to try this 5x5 while "off" how long should I wait before I try this program. I have read the article in regards to cycling and this program but thats not the route I'd like to go. Just want to do this while off cycle to try and maintain or maybe increase strenght au naturale (keep my fingers crossed on this one)..Thanks in advance...
Finish PCT, get some normal weeks of training under your belt (not anything very taxing) and then start a 4 week volume cycle - alternatively start much lighter and go for 6 weeks. The important part is you want to be well outside of PCT, fully back to normal, and in an unfatigued state before beginning.

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

SublimeZM said:
madcow-

i failed on the intensity portion...i got 2 (and i guess a half) reps instead of the 3.

i think it was more of a mental issue than a strength issue, but anyway, how do i go about dealing with this

do i
1) do the same weight next week and get 3
2) take off five pounds and try
3) add 5 pounds to the weight(instead of usual greater increases), even though i failed, so this way i increase a little bit, without going too far ahead

DO what blutwump said. It's tough to make a call not knowing specifically where you failed and whether you are running 2x or 3x and whether or not you failed on a 3x3 or 1x3. All that said, it ain't rocket science so either hold the weight the same or push it up a bit if you are near the end (which you should be if you are failing).

Madcow2 said:
DO what blutwump said. It's tough to make a call not knowing specifically where you failed and whether you are running 2x or 3x and whether or not you failed on a 3x3 or 1x3. All that said, it ain't rocket science so either hold the weight the same or push it up a bit if you are near the end (which you should be if you are failing).
it was 1x3 and next week is week 8
it was about halfway through the motion i couldnt lock it out

ill up it 2.5 each side next week

SublimeZM said:
it was 1x3 and next week is week 8
it was about halfway through the motion i couldnt lock it out

ill up it 2.5 each side next week

that happened to me on the before, i did 2x2 instead of 1x3. same shit, i think

TheOak84 said:
that happened to me on the before, i did 2x2 instead of 1x3. same shit, i think
i shoulda done that, crap

Top Bottom