Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up now!

right now i'm at my previous single-set max, will go far past that in the next week and in the 3x3 weeks
i guess it seems as though my chest delts are staying pretty even, but my quads and back look thicker already, and to be honest, those were weak spots for me, which made the program so attractive for me

okay - so that puts you still in the loading phase if I'm getting that correctly. You might also find that your bench gets driven up from your posterior chain/back/lat development. Just hold tight and see what happens before you draw conclusions about requiring more work. Like I said before, the relationship between muscle and strength in the 5x5 range is consistent over longer time periods but week-to-week and month-to-month you are lucky if you find much linearity especially as you become more advanced.

And another rant on diet - not directly at you:
If muscle is your focus, just be sure you are eating enough, way too many people on this board at 7% bodyfat micromanaging their diet and wondering why they aren't gaining weight. If caloric excess is present, they will gain muscle and some combination of fat (hell, all fat if you don't train at all) but they will not remain at status quo which seems to be the trend in people having issues. Also, I don't think people take into account that as they gain a bit of muscle their base requirements go up so when they micromanage they are forgetting to adjust their new requirement mid-training cycle.

lol
undereating is deffinatly not a problem for this fat-ass!
eventually i'll get to 240!

i will deffinatly post up as i progress through the program, and post pics (i know people keep asking for pics, so hopefully someone finds it usefull)
i just wanted to post up my thoughts on this program as i go through it

Keep em coming. It's good stuff. I had thought you were further along - done or almost done.

Since you are interested in doing it, and I know a lot of people could benefit (I'll link it in the TOC also because I don't have many really comprehensive progress posts) you might consider posting comprehensive updates at the end of each period (i.e. post-volume and post-intensity/deload). Pictures, starting lifts, current records, weight, whatever you might want to include. Granted you can post anything you want but if I had a wish list it would be something on that level after week 4 and again after week 9 or at some reasonably logical interval. Just be sure to make gains (it doesn't do me any good it you aren't happy and link some picture of the middle finger in your update :)).

Also - good shoulder development in your avatar. Thinking back I recall you were a thrower? Do you have much experience with training the snatch and/or OL variants? You might find the snatch read up above worthwhile if you wanted to incorporate some of those into your training later on.

i did some snach and power clean work in school
but i think my form sucked, there were not any good lifting coaches on campus once the chiefs left training camp :)
i need to find someone around here who can help me out if i want to get into those lifts more

www.usaweightlifting.org/

Check and see if there is a coach in your area. My friend took this advice and trains for free on top equipment with full coaching every Saturday. Even a few sessions a long time apart can be hugely beneficial especially if you are looking to simply obtain functional technique rather than compete in the lifts.

Reactions: Cut
Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

During volume phase, do I increase the weight each week?

For example...on monday week one, my max set of the 1x5 is 200lbs

When am I supposed to increase the weight? On friday during the 5x5? or the next monday during the 1x5? or do I leave the weight the same during volume phase and only increase it during intensity phase?

Thanks

Re: Bill Starr's 5 x 5 program... Variation per Madcow2 (thanx) So here it is! K up n

Santa_Claus said:
During volume phase, do I increase the weight each week?

For example...on monday week one, my max set of the 1x5 is 200lbs

When am I supposed to increase the weight? On friday during the 5x5? or the next monday during the 1x5? or do I leave the weight the same during volume phase and only increase it during intensity phase?

Thanks

Very first post has a table of contents - this is the sample weight selection. Your 1x5 and 5x5 workouts are independent of each other as each has a separate record. You start your weights conservatively and scale upward to where you are hitting your current record in week 3 and exceeding in week 4 (or whereever the final 2 weeks of the volume phase end up for you).

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4652618&postcount=211

d3track said:
i did some snach and power clean work in school
but i think my form sucked, there were not any good lifting coaches on campus once the chiefs left training camp :)
i need to find someone around here who can help me out if i want to get into those lifts more

hey bro if you are working on form.. check these clips out..
one is really short but the other is longer there is audio to he explains it pretty good.. good form and bad.. stole these from the vertical jump post.

Part1 - 2megs
http://www.infinityfitness.com/videos/nl/chad01.asf

Part2- 32megs
http://www.infinityfitness.com/videos/nl/chado2.asf

they should work i watched them yesterday.. need windows media player i think.. i all...

OK madcow.. what about soreness do you just ignore this if you are really sore from say squats. and can barly walk. do you just go ahead with your work out?? what is the limit.. surly it afects you at some point??

Top Bottom