Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Bench Pressing

Quote from what musketeer said
musketeer said:
Those trainers are the same people who tell you to pull your elbows up to shoulder level to concentrate more on the chest and probably say to take your legs off the floor and cross them over the bench to isolate the pecs more.

The thinking behind not lowering the bar all of the way is logical because yourfront delt is increasingly involved as you lower the bar. The problem is that you will recruit less pectorals and more tricep using 'half presses'. ALSO and crucially, where you stop the bar will never be exactly the same if you are just stopping and reversing it in mid air, 'about 4-6 inches' fro your chest. The problem being that you will build up your strength in the top half of the movement and and remain weak past the reversal point. The one time you are lifting heavy and the bar goes a half inch too low then you will injure yourself. And the idiot trainers will say that the reason is because you lowered the bar too low!!!
If i'm not mistaken, according to Rippetoe's book, the bar should be at the nipple area.

Introspective said:
Quote from what musketeer said

If i'm not mistaken, according to Rippetoe's book, the bar should be at the nipple area.

what does that have to do with the musketeer's response?

he is talking bar depth travel not position on the torso.

and I would never take it to my nipple line (well maybe on a low incline). for flat bench its upper abs to keep strain off the shoulders.

bignate73 said:

and I would never take it to my nipple line (well maybe on a low incline). for flat bench its upper abs to keep strain off the shoulders.

BUT THEN YOU WOULDN'T GET HYOOGE PECS!

bignate73 said:

I just quoted musketeer and then gave my own input with regard to psychedout's first post when he asked, Where should the bar be touching on your chest? Nipple level?
plus kingkrs said this
kingkrs said:
I don't let the bar touch my chest. I will bring it down to about an inch or so. I do this to avoid the famous bounce that you see so many do. Other wise the bar is around the nipple area.
So i thought it would be relevant to quote what musketeer said in order to give another opinion on touching and not touching the chest.

bignate73 said:

quote from starting strength
Most trainees will try to stop over the chin or throat, so be prepared for this
and make sure the bar gets out to the place it needs to be, right over the nipple line.

Introspective said:
quote from starting strength
Most trainees will try to stop over the chin or throat, so be prepared for this
and make sure the bar gets out to the place it needs to be, right over the nipple line.

that sounds like where the bar would end up at lockout, if someone is bringing it down to their chin or throat....

all i know is for me to be able to tuck my elbows, the bar isn't going to my nipple line.

Nipple is the highest I'd go. That could stress the shoulders for someone who

A) benches heavy
B) has weak RCs

To be safe, go a little lower with the bar. No reason to risk injury.

blut wump said:
There are better ways to avoid the bounce such as not bouncing. If you never work the full range of motion you'll be weak lifting the bar off your chest on the day that it does go all the way down.

I used to do the same for fear that I wouldn't be able to get the bar off of my chest if I allowed it to go too low. Just bite the bullet and do a full range: I don't know anyone who works the full movement and has a sticking point right on their chest so don't fear touching down.
Understand that I do not have a "fear" of the bar not coming off my chest. I just find it takes more discipline not to let the bar touch and bounce. Like I said I let the bar come to about an inch from my chest. I can do pauses there also with no problem and do not have any sticking points. This is just something that I like to do rather than the afromentioned.

Top Bottom