Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Behind the Neck Barbell Press Is It Or Is It Not Bad for Rotator Cuff?

curling

I have learned that you shouldn't do behind the neck military presses with a barbell because it damages the rotator cuff. And I have heard also you can do it without damage to the rotator cuff if you only go down to ear level. Then others have said there is no reason to take a chance of hurting you rotator cuff because dumbbell presses work the muscle just the same maybe even better.

So I can final ruling on this?

what you heard is correct......... they are bad all bad......... you can find other ways to train the muscles that it works.............

skip them and stay healthy

I would say that any type of movement 'behind the neck' puts your rotator cuffs in a very dangerous position. I would stay away from any exercise similar.
:D:D

I think it's a situation where you have to listen to your body. If you feel any pain when doing them, substitute something else. No one excercise is all-important.

I've done behind the neck presses for many years and have never had a problem. But I keep the weight relatively light and don't go below the ear. I do them because I feel like they work for me and I'll continue until that changes.

And on a side note, there isn't an excercise you can do that couldn't potentially cause some kind of damage. There's a certain amount of risk involved in weightlifting as in any other sport. You just have to measure those risks and decide for yourself.

Behind the Neck Barbell Presses

I have to agree with others here, I'm 43 and have been BB for a long time. I do the Behind the neck presses occassionally, just to bring in an element of variety. However, they have always felt uncomfortable to me and last October I hurt my shoulder doing 245lbs. It's almost a year now and my shoulder is almost fully recovered. Maybe a younger guy would heal sooner but I can tell you it took quite awhile for the shoulder pain to subside and from now on it will be a light workout exercise, never heavy again.:p

Listen to BigArnold and everyone else. It is not worth the risk. You hurt your shoulders and you are pretty much screwed for a lot of upper body excercises.

The way I see it- if it hurts in any way, and you have good form- find a different exercise to work the muscle- everyones different!!

Top Bottom