Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Anyone Take Martial Arts?

NinjaX Did you get that info regarding Ninjutsu I sent?
The site I recommended focuses on the spiritual aspect which I think is wrong.

I have seen guys trying to utilize some kind of energy(?) then proceed to do something like break boards. The funny thing is when they muster all their power and break boards they usually break a feeble amount of boards (2-3).

We had a huge demonstration in Witcha Kansas which had representatives from most styles. Our students went last. I saw some guy demonstrating his ability to channel energy and break some boards. I was amazed at how few boards he was able to break. He also told us that we could not break the cynder blocks we brought. He bought into a philosophy and could not back it up.

He was quite surprised when our instructor said that we were not going to use any supernatural energy and were merely going to strike fast and hard, and proceeded to break six 1" thick pine boards then a cinder-block.

I've been training in martial arts for about a little over 11 years. It's a combination of a few styles...Taekwondo, Shotokan & Kyokushinkai...plus i also do weight training. I do the martial arts 2x a week and weight training 4-5x a week. lifting weights kinda makes it harder to do the martial arts without doing LOTS of stretching.

Ya! Supergirl
Some of the biggest guys that passed through our studios really struggled with speed. It took alot of work to get them profecient enough that their strength was an asset and not a hinderance.

Real dangerous though when a huge freak grabs a hold of you.

Some real huge guys punch and can knock a person back 10' but most of the damage the punch is taken away in the movement back. A real good hitter will snap back a persons head without pushing them back.

Speed and focus = power

Muay Thai Rules..

My partner (g-d bless him) is the current English Heavyweight Champion (within his association) he won the belt three months ago, I was so proud. He's going for the British title this November.

He's teaching me now, I am giving up bodbuilding to do this sport, because I love it, plus you cannot be that lean and grow at optimum level, the two sports do clash a little.

Muay Thai kicks ass!

S:karate:

Sheena, Muay Thai is the greatest fighting sport in the world, IMHO.

But I don't think it clashes much with weight training, with bodybuilding yes. But I would not give up working with weights for anything and I think the strength helps for fighting.

hardgainer (!)

Absolute Hardgainer . . . this isn't a flame or nuffin . . .

I'm genuinely interested. Why do you feel Muay Thai is the best Martial Art in the world?

:wavey:

I disagree with absolute hardgainer. Muay Thai kickboxing is a very powerful "standing" art, but I don't think it is superior to any other "standing" art (i.e. Tae Kwon Do, Kung Fu, etc.). In my opinion, a martial art's effectiveness is determined by the teaching ability of the instructor, and the dedication and physical prowess of the student.

Furthermore, Muay Thai kickboxing has no ground defensive techniques. Since most fights wind up on the ground, the Muay Thai martial artist is at a grave disadvantage in a street fight.

I prefer martial arts cross-training such as Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (ground techniques), Hap Ki Do (joint locks), Capoeira and Tang Soo Do (flexibility, power control, and lower body strength).

I also disagree that weight-lifting has a detrimental effect on martial arts. You must simply maintain your flexibility on a daily basis and make sure you continue to train equally in both things.

Not taken as a flame Superbabe.

I did not say that Muay Thai is the greatest Martial Art in the world. In fact I didn't call Muay Thai a martial art. Muay Thai in my opinion is a sport, a combat/fighting sport, not a Martial Art. I do not believe there is a "greatest" Martial Art in the world.

I said: "Muay Thai is the 'greatest' fighting sport in the world" which is just my opinion. Muay Thai offers a greater arsenal of techniques than boxing or kickboxing, it includes stand-up grappling and throwing. For me, I like Muay Thai best as a combat sport, but I am sure others who follow NHB or UFC would disagree.

hardgainer (cheers)

7 years of Freestyle Jujitsu : Muay Thai strikes, freestyle wrestilng takedowns, Greco-Roman wrestling throws, and no gi Brazilian ground work.

Top Bottom