Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Annoying Bicep problems

powerlifter450

My biceps have always been a difficult muscle group for me.I don't train them any less/more than anything else.I frequently change sets,reps,rest intervals,tempo etc .Yet I cannot seem to make them sore or encourage new growth or strength gains in them.Has anyone else developed this problem?How did you combat it?suggestions welcome

thanx:confused:

Hey Powerlifter,
I'm new around here. Just thought I'd see if I could help you out. I had this problem and cured it by changing to a lightweight routine. I went to a 10 second lift on the positive side of the movements and a 5 second negative. It took me 2 weeks to add an additional 3/4" on my arms, which didn't grow for 4 weeks prior to the change. I then went back to my typical movements and continued to grow. Give it a shot, maybe it will help you out too.

CutSixPack

I alternate my routine alot.For biceps any or all of the following.

alternating bd curls,hammer curls,reverse curls,straight bar curls,concentration curls,cable curls.

I was thinking about a fast repetition constant tension curl.Like a cheater curl or 21s.I've also tried to superset with drop sets.Nothing.I don't have alot of time so i try and hit everything very hard once per week.

As many as 8 sets per musclegroup including bis.:(

I know watch for overtraining but I don't seem to be doing that.

Cutsixpack.I'll give that 10/5 lightweight tempo a shot.thanx

anyone else with advice?

don't train your biceps directly ...don't do curls .. do back and chest ... to stimulate your bis and tris indirectly ... my bis grew when i did this ...

cyberflash said:
don't train your biceps directly ...don't do curls .. do back and chest ... to stimulate your bis and tris indirectly ... my bis grew when i did this ...

Yeah. Don't do squats either for legs either. They will grow just by walking around. WTF?

C'mon...curls and tricep extensions exist as exercises for a reason or no one would would do them and they cease to be of any use to us. That hasn't happened and unless I fell asleep and slept through all my functional anatomy and biomechanics courses, the biceps brachi's main function is flexion at the elbow joint. Therefore the best way to cause hypertrophy in the bicep is to offer it resistance as it causes complete ROM flexion at the elbow joint...damn, that sure sounds like a curl to me.

cyberflash,
Yes, you can make some gains in bi's doing back but you will eventually need direct work to hedge against stagnation and hitting a plateau. Furthermore, your unique muscle tendon attachments and biochemical individuality may permit you to see growth in the biceps from doing pulling-motion exercises for back but it is unlikely most people will see optimal bicep growth following a similar routine.

Here is my suggestion powerlifter...
3 sets cambered or straight bar 6-8 reps (intense!)
2 sets seated incline bench DB hammer curls 6-8 reps(intense!)
2 sets preacher curls 8-10 reps (intense!)
2 sets concentration curls or cable curls 8-12 reps

This routine applies POF (points of flexion) but the key in avoiding a lingering plateau (besides diet) is forcing yourself to break through the pain barrier. If you aren't intense and willing to accepct some gut-wrenching pain then you'll never progress or meet your goals.

Good luck bro. :)

Top Bottom