Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

advice needed plz

ZGzaZ

I have a friend at work, she's upset with her progress as of late. Mainly because she had her body fat tested 3 months ago, and was re-tested recently a few percent higher. Her weight is right about 132, bf = 30%. She eats a pretty clean diet, and does A LOT of cardio and lifts.

I'm wondering a few things... if anyone has any advice i could give to her, and if someone could caculate her maintenance, and give some good ratio's based on her fitness levels for losing body fat.

Thanks in advance!

Hard to say without having some specifics to work with. As far as the measured bodyfat, does she "feel" like she gained some bodyfat? Do her clothes fitting reflect the supposed incerase in bodyfat? Did the same person do the same set of measurements? If it's a 7-pt caliper measurement (or how many points did they take?), was it repeated say 3 times & the avg taken? Or was it using a tanita scale or something? Was it "that time of month" when they took the measurements?

If she's doing craploads of cardio, she might consider tossing some of the cardio for a tighter diet & more intense lifting. Too much cardio could be costing her some of the muscle that she is building. If she isn't, she could also throw in some HIIT cardio instead of just straight hours of cardio.

Is she drinking enough water? And honestly, I would look to the diet first and foremost as the culprit. Can you post her typical day's diet? Or can you get her on the boards herself so she can ask more specific questions?

Daisy_Girl said:
What Sassy said. I can't add anything further to that.

thanks for the replies so far, I asked her to make a 3 or 4 day log of her diet, so that I can get a better idea of that. And from what she told me, it was only a 4 point test, taken once...so a good point there from ya... i'll get her diet up soon, thanks though ladies!

ZGzaZ said:
...does A LOT of cardio and lifts...

Eveyone reaches platues. It just means it's time to change things around. Doing A LOT of cardio can actually encourage the body to store fat. It works at first, but over time the body will become more energy-efficient, which is a bad thing for fat loss. It can also cause muscle wasting, resulting in lower metabolism. Have her read this: http://64.56.238.34/bodyessence/Pages/Articles/aerobicvstrength/chunkysyndrome.html

While diet is 80% of success, she should re-focus her training away from just fat loss and more on building her body into the best athlete it can be. This means strength, speed, balance, etc. Her diet should be such that it supports her training. If she does that, the body will come. My motto is: Eat like an athlete, train like an athlete, look like an athlete.

Reactions: bw1
FitFossil said:
Eveyone reaches platues. It just means it's time to change things around. Doing A LOT of cardio can actually encourage the body to store fat. It works at first, but over time the body will become more energy-efficient, which is a bad thing for fat loss. It can also cause muscle wasting, resulting in lower metabolism. Have her read this: http://64.56.238.34/bodyessence/Pages/Articles/aerobicvstrength/chunkysyndrome.html

While diet is 80% of success, she should re-focus her training away from just fat loss and more on building her body into the best athlete it can be. This means strength, speed, balance, etc. Her diet should be such that it supports her training. If she does that, the body will come. My motto is: Eat like an athlete, train like an athlete, look like an athlete.

BINGO!

Top Bottom