Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

8% BF - if so, WOW...

Early Riser

So, for the past 4 weeks I've been using a Tanita scale to determine my BF. Granted, I know it is 100% accurate, but I was looking for something that would give me easy day to day monitoring and a baseline.

Well, I started at about 14% BF, and went down to about 12.9%. I have been at 12.9 for the past 10 days.

I did not vary more than 1.6% with the scale throughout the day.....the morning being higher (usually about 14.5%), and my 7 pm lows of 12.9%.

Generally though, on average for the past four weeks, including all measurements throughout the day, I've been about 13.7.

I was following a pretty good (cutting) diet, and doing cardio everyday...so I was wondering why the numbers were progessively getting lower (say, 1% per week). I was considering three things - either I reached the "set point" of my BF and I had to accept 13% BF, needed supplements to go lower, or that yes I was at my body's set point, but the Tanita scale didn't accurately reflect my BF%.

I saw cosmokramer's pic of his abs, and (no offense cosmo), I thought I was more cut, and he said he was about 9% BF.

So, I went out and got calipers, and used the Body Fat Calc. from "TheRusty Iron" website to compare it to Tanita.

Well, according to my measurements (taken several times), pecs at 5mm, abdominal at 9 mm, and thigh at 10 mm, and at 36 years old, my BF calculates to be 7.827!!!

My original goal was 8% - at which point I planned to add muscle by doing more weight training and increasing cals.

Thanks to all who gave advise regarding my workouts/dieting.

I plan to stay on a good healthy, high lean protein diet, low carb, good fat for the rest of my life, with a cheat day each week to enjoy some, and to also continue my workouts. I'm in the best shape of my life - better than when I was 21.

Regards.

Early Riser.

I know how you feel, two years ago I was 36%BF and now I’m at about 8-10%. I’m 34 and I look better than I ever have. I feel much better also. I don’t plan on ever being fat again! Good job and keep up the hard work! Later, Billy :cool:

all these measurements are just estimates tanitas, calipers etc they're all wrong...instead of shooting for a certain bf% it's better to use the mirror and say "I'm lean enough it's time to bulk up"

dngu047, I agree with you it's not really how you measure on any scale BF% or weight, all that matters is how you feel about yourself. If you are happy with your self thats all that matters b/c the only person you have to please is your self! If you spend your life trying to please someone else you will never get there! The scales just gives you something to go by. Later, Billy:D

Cozmokramer, I’m more worried about how I look and feel than a reading you get from any scale. I just use the scale to get an idea of my progress. It gives you a boost of confidence to know you are making progress. Later, Billy:D

Granted, Tanita scales are not the best, but what is. That's why I got the calipers to pinpoint and compare.

Actually, when I put the Tanita scale in "Athlete mode" its within 1% of what the caliper readings give.

But, the main reason why I bought the scale was for monitoring - being able to tell within 5 secs how my weight/BF compare to an hour/day/week before.

As to just looking in the mirror and determining the amount that I'm cut that I'll be happy with without resorting to being a particulat BF% - I agree. The reason why I chose 8 % was that it was a goal - like running 10 miles, doing a 6 or 7 min mile in a run; benching 300lbs, etc.

I am not anal about it, just set a goal to get there (I'm there!!!), and trying to live a lifestyle which will keep it there (good diet and exercise).

Thanks to all who commented.

ER

Top Bottom