Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

70's bodybuilders - Types of Drugs Used

My Mentor, the late great Mike Menter, took 400 of deca and 20-30 of d-bol back in the late 70's and he even published this in his "Heavy Duty Journal" that you can still get at www.mikementzer.com

BTW that was considered a large dose of gear for a man "living on the edge" like Mike.

Anyone who remembers Mike will attest to the fact that he was no bullshitter and was honest to a fault..when he says he took 400 of deca and 20-30 of d-bol you could bet your life he was telling the truth.

RG:)

Where is this myth coming from?

Texas Ranger said:
. Plus, they didn't use a fraction of the stuff pro's take today. .

Where does this come from? According to Rick Wayne, in his book 'Muscle Wars', Arnold was taking 'handfuls' of d-ball at a time.
Any claims by 70's bbders that they used 200mg test and 15 mg dbol a day are lies, in my book, to make them look good in comparison to today's pros. Guys back then did anything to win, listen to Arnold in 'pumping iron'- he makes it clear he would do anything to win, and I bet that includes using mega doses of gear. I wonder if it is simply a matter of food- maybe they didnt eat as much as today's pros.
When did bodybuilders get REALLY huge? the late 80's and 90's. I bet that is from gh and insulin use, and perhaps eating round the clock.

few of the 70's bbders, if any, have come clean and admitted to how much they did, instead they bullshit to make themselves sound 'more natural' than today's pros. I dont believe the claims that they used much less AAS than today's pros. I also dont believe Lee Priest's claims that he only used 200mg decca a week for 12 weeks, pre comp, and that is it as far as gear goes.

In the 80's, I was natural, which I don't regret, but it wasn't uncommon to see gym bags filled with gear lying open in the middle of the floor or on top of the front desk. It was insane.

The top guys have always been the ones wth the best genetics, but today someone can have great genetics and not respond well to gear and never be able to compete at the national level. Look at Dorian as a kid. No one one would ever think he had great genes but he took the juice like a fish to water. The slightest bit mad him grow in leaps and bounds.

Some of the 60's guys went crazy. Do Ross used to make Dianabol pies! No lie. He'd ground p 100 d-bol into the pie filling and pass it around to the guys while they trained!

One of the reasons guys today have a hard time comprehending how the old timers from the 60's ad 70's made such great gains on so little gear is because of the change in training philosophy. Before 1980 I don't think I ever heard the word "overtraining." Ask someone what being "catabolic" was and they'd think you were talking about cars or pets. When these guys trained, they were animals! Aerobics? HA! Their idea of aerobics was doing 500 roman chair sit-ups.

How did Larry Scott make such great gains on 2 d-bol a day? According to Larry , it made him hungry as a motherfucker (my word, not his) , so he ate more and trained more -- two powerful ingredients to becoming bigger. He wanted to make the most of those 10mgs of d-bol. And it worked. But anyone who goes straight to 800mgs of test a week for 12 weeks will never understand that.

Victorian Guy, the reason I say this is they didn't have access or the knowledge on how to use the drugs that bodybuilders of today have at their disposal. Plus, I just don't see Frank Zane or Serge Nubret shooting 2-3 grams of Test a week like some of the guys in the amateur ranks(NPC) that aren't even Pros.

Ok, my question is, if they used such low doses, did they stay on all the time? I could maybe believe they used 10mg of dbol and 200mg of deca per week if they used it year round, otherwise, I just don't buy it. You can see how fiercely competitive those guys were, and if everyone was taking 2 dbol, why wouldn't one guy start taking 4? And so on. It seems that it wasn't until years later it was commonly known that the body can't do much with doses over 50mg of dbol per day and how toxic to the liver it is. I think today's pros look different because of GH, slin, and improved nutrition and training.

The guy next to Serge Nubret is DEAD!

His name is Don Ross. He died in 1995, I believe he was in his 40's. He had a column in flex or musclemag, where he advocated eating a pound of ground beef a day- he said he did so for breakfast.

A few months after reading that...I read that he died. Massive heart attack. Reports were that he kept training with heavy weights, and from pics obviously juicing, right till the end. Also, one observer noted that in the weeks prior to his death his face was beet red all the time, indicative of high blood pressure.
Likely a steroid induced condition, and he died from gear use.
Wonder how many of those 70's dudes are dead, and we simply dont hear about it, or when we do we hear 'a congenital' condition caused their death. I wonder if mike mentzer's gear use had a part in his early demise, too. Wait...no that was a congentinal heart condition. And, oh yeah, Arnold had one of those too. Gotta wonder about what we dont hear concerning the health of 70s bodybuilders. Mike Katz looks awful, Tom platz had surgery for gallstones, Ed Corney was in a wheelchair last pic I saw of him...how about other guys? Thing is, we will never know because the last thing bodybuilding magazines, and the supplement companies that keep them in business via ads, want you to know is anything negative concerning the health of bodybuilding stars.

some of the pros of past may have died, but all the Mr.O's r still living even from 60's. which is another proof of their genetics and lesser use of AAS.
barpk

drug.against.war: What you have to realize is that the mind set was far more reverent toward the use of medications back then. And roids were thought of as medicine. Remember, these were HEALTH guys. So the cavalier attitude prevelant today just didn't exist. If a doctor prescribed a medicine to you, would you indiscriminately take 4 times the recommended dosage?

Talk to the old timers about insulin or DNP and they'd be horrified! Larry Scott used his big 10mg cycle for a month prior to each Mr. O.

Dave Draper told me he used gear as a curiosity -- something that might help him with his personal goals. (25mgs of winny ED Woo Hoo!) He's the most un-competitive guy you'd ever meet. Arnold was pushing the envelope by taking 50mgs of d-bol a day.

Don Ross is who I was referring to in my last post -- typical of the "over the edge" mentality when gear was so accesable in the 80's.

Mike Katz always looked bad. Menzter had psycological problems and was a chain smoker. The guys from the 80's and 90's are kicking off before the guys from the 60's and 70's.

Here's some perspective. Too much androgen can cause heart disease. Too little androgen can cause heart disease. Charles Kochakian, the man who discovered how to synthesize testosterone, administed self treatment of low doses throughout his life. He lived to 90. Andres Muntzer. Dead in his 30's.

Balance and moderation. You can only go to one extreme or the other so far before it comes back to bite you in the ass. That's the way it's always been. Come to think of it, it's that way with everything.

Top Bottom