Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

365x3 squats, please critique form

Thanks guys, I forgot i was wearing AF1's i have a pair of chucks already. I like barefoot as well. I've definitely improved and I have come to LOVE squats :)

jdid - I could go deeper, but when I do my lower back rounds and i cant help it. When Im doing any set besides my last heavy set, I go to where the barbell touches those side bars so I cant go any deeper. That is below parallel, but with my max weight it just doesnt feel comfortable. I have read other places too that the heavy set doesnt need to be ATG but parallel is fine.

Where you hold the bar on your back puts a lot of pressure on your spine. Lowering it down your back takes force off of it. It isn't absolutely necessary, but I find it more favorable.

Always squat in the flattest shoe with the least amount of cushion.

I disagree with this. They make Oly shoes with heels for a reason and I suggest trying them out, or putting a board or plates under your heels. Your squats almost look like good mornings with you leaning so far forward. With heels or something under them you can go lower and keep your back straighter and therefore keep the stress more on your quads/glutes/hams and not your lower back. Arnold used to squat barefoot with plates under his heels and I think it worked out ok for him. Try a light weight and something under your heels just to see how if feels, if it feels more natural then I suggest investing in some Oly shoes. I know they made a world of difference for my squats.

Have not seen any of your other videos. Looks ok to me, could be better. Dont mean that with any disrespect. I think you could benefit with a belt...some people dont like them but i think they can really help form. Just amek sure you really work your abs and lower back and only use it on heavy sets.

Also - just a little tip. Pick something just above your eye level to look at. Take the weight off, keeping your eyes on this object. Squat and keep looking at that object. Can help straighten out your back. Good luck bro.

I disagree with this. They make Oly shoes with heels for a reason and I suggest trying them out, or putting a board or plates under your heels. Your squats almost look like good mornings with you leaning so far forward. With heels or something under them you can go lower and keep your back straighter and therefore keep the stress more on your quads/glutes/hams and not your lower back. Arnold used to squat barefoot with plates under his heels and I think it worked out ok for him. Try a light weight and something under your heels just to see how if feels, if it feels more natural then I suggest investing in some Oly shoes. I know they made a world of difference for my squats.

Oly shoes are for oly lifters. Outside of that, the wedge on the heel is more for pressing.

If you look at any (with only a very few exceptions) reputable powerlifter (Ed Coan, Becka Swanson, Dave Tate, Scott Cartwright, and Captain Kirk are good examples) in any federation and they will be using flat shoes. Also look at just about any strongman, and you will only see oly shoes in the pressing events.

In my nearly 40 years of Pling I have maybe seen oly shoes used by lifters at maybe a 50-1 ratio even in training. Now that I have converted to strongman, I only see them used in pressing events.

Heels on shoes have nothing to do with going lower. They have no bearing on back angle either.

B-

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Every body is different. For me, I cannot go ATG without falling backwards, even without weight on my back; my physiology just will not allow it. But, wearing Oly shoes with a heel and going ATG just feels effortless for me, I can go ATG and my back is mostly straight from hips up, through the entire ROM; it just feels natural. Now, without Oly shoes I feel like I'm doing more good mornings than squats, like the OP. I'm suggesting he at least give Oly shoes a try, because I think we can all agree, his knees should not be drifting over his toes and the heel can help that.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess. Every body is different. For me, I cannot go ATG without falling backwards, even without weight on my back; my physiology just will not allow it. But, wearing Oly shoes with a heel and going ATG just feels effortless for me, I can go ATG and my back is mostly straight from hips up, through the entire ROM; it just feels natural. Now, without Oly shoes I feel like I'm doing more good mornings than squats, like the OP. I'm suggesting he at least give Oly shoes a try, because I think we can all agree, his knees should not be drifting over his toes and the heel can help that.

Sitting back further into the hole will do it every time too. Zatisiorsky and Rippetoe discuss this in depth.

On a flat surface in the hole, the goal is for the tib/fib to not break a perpendicular pane to the foot. Raising the heel to compensate for that puts a shearing force on the ankle that I am justt not comfortable with. As you can imagine, the higher the load, the more the shearing force produced.

B-

B-

Top Bottom