Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

15 sets to bring up traps

I wouldn't. I would simply train more frequently, and focus on weight progression rather than getting the biggest pump or burn possible.

I've had good experience with shrugs.

Also I don't buy the whole deadlift = traps thing.

Think critically for a sec. The only way that a deadlift works the trap is because you're holding the weight. Well with a shrug, you're holding (usually) just as much weight for just as long, AND you're actually moving the target muscle too!

15 sets like to much to me, but whatever floats your boat...

I personally like shrugs as well, but I only do about 5 sets barbell
2 sets up right rows, and 2 sets dumbell shrugs, and it always leaves a good burn

first, how old are you, if you are young, don't worry about your traps. Second you have been deadlifting for a whole month and a half and your traps aren't huge yet? If you just started doing deads i am pretty sure your lower back is going to be your weakness, and your hams, so your it is going to a little time for everything to catch up so you can really stimulate the traps. All you are going to really need is heavy deadlifting and 4 sets of power shrugs a week. A power shrug is an explosive shrug, dynamic lifting is much more affective for the upper back than just standing their doing isolated movements. Do a search on the net for proper power shrug form, if you cannot find something i will look for you, i had a link but the board went down and never came back, where i had put it.

casualbb said:
I've had good experience with shrugs.

Also I don't buy the whole deadlift = traps thing.

Think critically for a sec. The only way that a deadlift works the trap is because you're holding the weight. Well with a shrug, you're holding (usually) just as much weight for just as long, AND you're actually moving the target muscle too!

try a static hold sometime and let me know if you feel that in your traps!!! its my experience that deads plus some direct work are all you need for traps..

jcp2 said:
first, how old are you, if you are young, don't worry about your traps. Second you have been deadlifting for a whole month and a half and your traps aren't huge yet? If you just started doing deads i am pretty sure your lower back is going to be your weakness, and your hams, so your it is going to a little time for everything to catch up so you can really stimulate the traps. All you are going to really need is heavy deadlifting and 4 sets of power shrugs a week. A power shrug is an explosive shrug, dynamic lifting is much more affective for the upper back than just standing their doing isolated movements. Do a search on the net for proper power shrug form, if you cannot find something i will look for you, i had a link but the board went down and never came back, where i had put it.

I agree. I do deads and power shrugs, along with snatches and cleans (not all in the same workout). I don't do slow shrugs, but snap the bar up. Really makes them sore.

for once i agree with debaser on something, just do 2-3 sets ever other day. someone posted they did that for thier calves and made some gains. one day do a huge drop set, the next day take 30 second breaks, the next daygo to failure and do some static holds. do that for a month, i bet youll like it

Top Bottom