Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

15 sets to bring up traps

If you would prefer bigger traps than you currently have would you...

1)Start doing 15 sets over 8? and dedicating that entire day to them
2)How would you split up those 15 sets (movement names)

Thanks

One word for you: Deadlifts

Shrugs are more of a finisher or vanity exercise after you have built a nice set of traps with deadlifts...

Power cleans are also good if you know the correct form, which I don't

InTraining said:
One word for you: Deadlifts

Shrugs are more of a finisher or vanity exercise after you have built a nice set of traps with deadlifts...

Power cleans are also good if you know the correct form, which I don't

i dont have any traps, and ive been deadlifting for a bout a month an da half...do you guys shrug at the top?

SublimeZM said:
i dont have any traps, and ive been deadlifting for a bout a month an da half...do you guys shrug at the top?

No...I don't add the shrug but at the top of the movement after I lock out I hold the weight for 1-2 seconds

I built most all of my trap size with barbell and dumbell shrugs, well before I ever knew what a deadlift was. After incorporating them later, I was able to add some extra thickness and density to the traps, but I built the foundation on shrugs. I would sometimes do 12 sets or more of traps, like you suggested. Maybe something like:

4 sets of Barbell Shrugs to the front
4 sets of Barbell Shrugs to the back
4 sets of Dumbell Shrugs

If you want to add 3 more sets, you can do 5 sets each or even add an extra exercise. Maybe some type of machine shrugs. I also usually do 12-15 reps and each set and to failure. You dont have to do shrugs behind the back, or a whole lot of variety aslong as you get the sets and reps in. I didnt do this type of volume too often in my training, but more then a few times throughout the years. I wouldnt designate a whole day to them, but just hit them on back or shoulders at the end of your workout. If you want to do them on a seperate day, thatll work too. Try to make sure that they dont interfere with the rest of your lifts during the week. Maybe place them before a rest day. Most of the time I just did 4-8 good sets after shoulders or back. Here are some credentials:

490622003_5_14_beast_021.jpg

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
The_first_athlete said:
If you would prefer bigger traps than you currently have would you...

1)Start doing 15 sets over 8? and dedicating that entire day to them
2)How would you split up those 15 sets (movement names)

Thanks
if your currently doing 8 sets for traps its probably too much..walking's routine works for him but i dont think u need an entire day for traps let a lone 15 sets..heavy deads are great but if you inlude direct work try 2 work sets of 5-8 reps: i hit my traps with delts heres what i do
135x20
225x10
315x10
work sets
405x8
495x6

TRAPS!! I love traps! I used to do them after shoulders then I switched to doing them after back but now that I do shoulders on the same day as lower back ( deads) I do them at the end of that workout. I used to do around 12 sets to them but now that I am pre exausting them with shoulders and back I do 6-8 heavy sets 3-4 on the straight bar then 3-4 on the shrug bar. Im currently runnung 5x5 so my weight is always going up. Im at 445 on the bar and 365 on the shurg bar.

Top Bottom