Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Triceps??

James_D

Just looking for a bit of advice,
No matter how hard i train my triceps they just dont seem to grow much!!
What is best, Fewer sets with heavy weight? Many sets with lighter weights?
What should be my main exercise for mass building, most say closegrip bench press??

Any advice will be greatly appreciated,
J

Im 24,5 11", 205lb. Been training for 4 years, 2 seriously.
Current triceps routine is:
Closegrip Bench 3 sets 10-12 reps
Skull crushers 3 sets 12 reps
Rope pull down 4 sets 10 reps
Dumbell tricep raises 3 sets 8 - 10 reps
Tricep kickbacks 3 sets 10 reps

Im 24,5 11", 205lb. Been training for 4 years, 2 seriously.
Current triceps routine is:
Closegrip Bench 3 sets 10-12 reps
Skull crushers 3 sets 12 reps
Rope pull down 4 sets 10 reps
Dumbell tricep raises 3 sets 8 - 10 reps
Tricep kickbacks 3 sets 10 reps

i meant your full workout.... bare in mind i am not too advanced, but i don't think you need 16 sets for your triceps man... they're a small muscle in the big picture.

your hitting your triceps on monday, and some on wednesday, and then another 16 sets on friday... i would cut it down to 3 exercises on friday.

Monday-Chest
Tuesday-Back
Wednesday-Shoulders
Thursday-Legs
Friday-Arms

OK, maybe you should change your split, it will allow for more recovery for your arms, best choices would either be a three day per week routine like this:
Monday - chest shoulder tri
Wednesday - back bi forearms
Friday - legs abs

or a four day routine like this:
Monday shoulder tri
Tuesday back calves
Wednesday rest
Thursday chest bi
Friday legs abs

As for the tri work I would cut it right down, 9 sets tops, 3 sets of 3 exercises. First should be weighted dips or close grip benchpress, I like dips best so I would do them first, after that I would do close grip bench or close grip incline or skullcrushers, then I would finish with some rope pushdowns or seated two arm overhead extensions with one dumbell, gripping the inside of the plate. To be honest if your hitting your presses hard you could just cut it down to two exercises, especially if you do dips for chest and do them on the chest day. If you were gonna do that I would choose close grip bench and a tricep extension of your choice to do, 3 sets each.

For weighted dips or close grip presses I would use the 6-9 rep range and for a tricep extension exercise like skullcrushers or pushdowns I would use the 10-15 rep range. I would also stop doing kickbacks all together.

Thanks for the responses guys,
I think i will do a 4 day split from now on.
Hopefully i will see some growth in the next few months!!
Thanks again, J

focus on the long head of the tricep. youre not hitting the thick part of the tricep at all. french curls and standing/seated bb overhead extensions will help alot, besides cutting down the volume to a max of 9 sets total. you could use a modified hiit and do 3 total exercises, 1 set each, heaviest weight possible to fail (fail should be under 15 reps).

focus on the long head of the tricep. youre not hitting the thick part of the tricep at all. french curls and standing/seated bb overhead extensions will help alot, besides cutting down the volume to a max of 9 sets total. you could use a modified hiit and do 3 total exercises, 1 set each, heaviest weight possible to fail (fail should be under 15 reps).

Thats a very good point timtim, This may be a stupid question but what are french curls?
Also could you elaborate on the HIIT?

Top Bottom