Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

My 6mo. Old and Night Terrors

Captain FT

2150 Served and Counting
Platinum
Does anyone have any experience with infants and night terrors?

Here is what happened this morning:

I work nights and at 6am my wife called asking if I could leave early, something was wrong with Mason and she didn't know what was going on. She was upset and I could hear him screaming in the background like he was in pain. She said "I can't get him to open his eyes and he won't stop screaming, I don't know what to do, he won't wake up." If she held him to her chest he was fine and went right to sleep. If she tried to lay him down he would start screaming and curl up in the fetal position. It was heart breaking. :worried:

So I get home and had to check him out for myself. To me it wasn't logically making sense, but I didn't know about night terrors. In my job I'm a troubleshooter be it with servers going down or the internal or external website, whatever, so automatically I start troubleshooting my son like he's a technical issue. What has changed in his environment over the last 12 hours to cause this was my first thought. The wife and I started reviewing what his day was like yesterday, what he ate, who he came in contact with, did anything change. Nothing was out of the ordinary except he came in contact with my wife's youngest sister who had come back from a week at college. The college campus has already had 2500 reports of flu like symptoms so I automatically thought that was it right there.

We call the on-call doctor who said, try to nurse him. We did that, and it was freaky. He latched on right away, opened his eyes and looked right at my wife. His eyes were all glazed over and pupils were really big. He had no reaction though. Usually when he first wakes up he's happy and smiling. After 1 minute of nursing he clenched his eyes shut and started screaming again. Time to go to the doctor.

So 8am comes and we are in the pediatricians office, he's still either passed out cold sleeping or screaming his head off with his eyes closed. Nothing can seem to wake him up. After the nurse does all his vitals, another nurse came in with a pulseox machine to do the oxegen level reading in his blood. She clamped the sensor on his finger and about 2 seconds later his eyes opened, he looked up at me holding him and then started smiling. OMG my boy is back :heart:.

I was like "WTF this is the craziest shit I've ever experienced." The doctor thinks he could be fighting a cold and the night terror could have been induced from that.

I've been reading about night terrors for most of today, its crazy shit. I hope this was a one off, but thought I would see if any of you guys with kids have experience with this.

Sorry I don't know anything about night terrors but I just want to wish you luck in dealing with whatever the problem is. I know first hand what it's like when your infant loved one is suffering and can't tell you what's wrong.

so automatically I start troubleshooting my son like he's a technical issue.

i love this line!!

Honestly - i wouldn't just write it off as a fluke and carry on. Take him back to the doc or another doc and continue doing full checks on him. Something caused him to be like that and try your best to see if it's something simple or more serius. Maybe saerch on webmd.

c

Sorry I don't know anything about night terrors but I just want to wish you luck in dealing with whatever the problem is. I know first hand what it's like when your infant loved one is suffering and can't tell you what's wrong.

Yah its the worst. At 6 months he hasn't really felt any sort of pain other than his booster shots, that's the only time i've seen him cry. To lay him down and have him screaming and see a little tear poke through his eye lashes just killed me. I took the night off work and slept during the day so my wife didn't have to spend the night alone. I'm glued to this video monitor.

So far he's been good to go, so i'm hoping this was a one off.

all three of mine had em...all three outgrew them
its heartbreaking...being there to console sometimes helps...
sometimes prolongs it
lot of times they really arent totally awake
google it....lots of sound advice on parenting boards

all three of mine had em...all three outgrew them
its heartbreaking...being there to console sometimes helps...
sometimes prolongs it
lot of times they really arent totally awake
google it....lots of sound advice on parenting boards

Thanks shirlene

Yah I gathered after reading about night terrors that there isn't much you can do. Thankfully they don't remember any of it. Being first time parents and never having seen our son this way scared us to death. Now we know if it happens again he will eventually just wake up on his own, but it makes for a long night if my wife has to work the next day

so automatically I start troubleshooting my son like he's a technical issue.

i love this line!!

I know right, but that's how my brain works. when you get on critical situation calls with top level managers and PM's and PL's you have to always ask the right questions and know what to look for so that's just how I'm wired now. Its funny how you can apply that to real life stuff too.

I know right, but that's how my brain works. when you get on critical situation calls with top level managers and PM's and PL's you have to always ask the right questions and know what to look for so that's just how I'm wired now. Its funny how you can apply that to real life stuff too.

Your mind, cuz of your daily focusing on logic & math, is preconditioned to thinking like this 24/7. I'm the same way. Great for problem-solving in life! Very handy.

c

never had the issue with my daughter, sounds scary

hopefully it's not nightly routine bro

keep us posted

Top Bottom