Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Thyroid suppression on low carb/keto diet

Tatyana

Elite Mentor
I had some bloods done today, and guess what, a low carb diet doesn't suit me at all.

I have been doing the anabolic diet, which is five days low carbs, typically less than 30g/day, and then on the weekends, carb up.

I have been eating around 2000-2200 kcals/day on low carb days for the last 2.5-3 months, and 3000 kcals/day on the weekends (at least) .

June 6 - high carb/high protein/low fat comp diet

(all normal good results)

Cholesterol 4.4 mmol/L

HDL 1.95 mmol/L

Total:HDL ratio 2.32

Cortisol: 209 IU/L

TSH 1.58 IU/L

December 22 - low carb/high protein/high fat off season anabolic diet (elevated cholesterol and thyroid suppression)

Cholesterol 6.7 mmol/L

HDL 2.13 mmol/L

Total:HDL ratio 3.2

LDL: 4.2 mmol/L

Cortisol 424 nmol/L (170-540 for early morning)

TSH: 5.24 mU/L (0.4-5.0)

FT4 - 11.3 pmol/L (12-23)

May be consistent with primary hypothyroidism

As my results are a bit abnormal, one of our consultants added on thyroid antibodies to check for Hasimoto's disease.

Thyroid antibodies: 9 ng/L (negative)

Needless to say, I am going to stop the anabolic diet and go back to eating carbs, protein and fat everyday.

They say low carb diets suppress the thyroid gland, I am just going to say, NO KIDDING.

I was only worried that my cholesterol may have been bad, and it was far worse than I thought it would be.

Even if I corrected the cholesterol by eating less animal fat (take out the cheese and butter), I still have the thyroid suppression.

My GP is going to freak, and I will probably be a case study again for grand rounds.

Probably carb cycling or carb tapering, but only on days that I am not training.

Days I train, carbs right up unto bed time.

:)

Carb/ calories cycling works great for me.

I just do it randomly rather than 2 high one low etc. I also cycle fats as well.

Im actually naturally a light eater so I like my low carb/ low cal days!

Top Bottom