Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

eating fat to lose fat

emmab

I have read where people say you need to have a good fat intake in order to lose fat, but how does that work???Why will low fat diets make you hold on to body fat??

First, I would like to state a personal observation. I was a late child (very late). My mother was born in 1928 and had 7 sisters and 4 brothers. They worked very hard when they were young and young adults. Systematically, almost all of them eventually ended up on a low fat diet for cholesterol or just because the doctor recommended it. Now, every single female that is living (including my mother) has adult onset diabetes. Also, if you look at the history of man, you can tell when he started consuming a lot of carbohydrates, their teeth started rotting.

This is what it says in this book I have. I am not endorsing it or anything, just quoting something :)

To begin with they state that there are three macronutrient, protein, fat and carbohydrates. The human body required fat and protein to survive but actually does not require any carbohydrates stating you body has all the biochemical machinery necessary to make all the blood sugar you need to nourish the tissues that require it - red blood cells, some parts of the eye, brain, and kidney.

"Bearing in mind that protein and fat are essential to health and carbohydrate isn't, what happens when we cut back our fats as the nutritional establishment recommends? Since we can't for the most part remove the fat from the food, we end up replacing foods that contain fat with those that don't. Since most sources of good-quality protein - meat, eggs, adn dairy products - contain a fair amount of fat, to cut back on fat we end up cutting back on protein as well and replacing them both with carbohydrate. Most vegetable sources of protein - beans and grains - are incomplete unless combined carefully and contain far more carbohydrate than protein. In the end, if we follow the low fat prescritpion we can end up deficient in protein (it's difficult to be deficient in fat because the only essential fat is linoleic acid, which is found in vegetable oils).

But probably the worse news of all is that eating more carbohydrates stimulates your body's fat storage. In attempting to reduce fat intake, you wind up actually getting fatter, becasue some macronutrients stimulate profound metabolic hormonal changes - chiefly insulin and glucagon - you wouldn't see much activity, because fat is essentially metabolically inert. Carbohydrate, however, would set off a Mad Hatter's tea part of metabolic activity. Eating a hand full of grapes while hooked to the same device would initiate a wild swinging of gauge needles indicating a rapid increase in insulin and a decrease in its opposing hormone glucagon, all perfectly normal metabolic responses kindled by the consumption of carbohydrate. It follows logically that the constant consumption of large quantities of carbohydrate would then produce large quantities of insulin, which indeed it does.

Even complex carbohydrates stimulate the response because all carbohydrates are basically sugar. Various sugar molecules - primarily glucose - hooked together chemically compose the entire family of carbohydrates. Your body has digestive enzymes that break these chemical bonds and release the sugar molecules into the blood, where they stimulate insulin and the other metabolic hormones. This means that if you follow a 2,200 calorie diet that is 60 percent carbohydrate - the very one most nutritionists recommend - your body will end up having to contend with almost 2 cups of pure sugar a day."

Whew

I'm not really sure why Essential Fatty Acids such as Omega 3's, etc. help burn fat from a scientific standpoint, but for me (and many others I read about on this board), supplementing with EFA's definitely works.

Here's how I think they work (not really scientific). Fats take longer to burn, so in that way, they can help control hunger by making you feel full longer. Also, I would think if your body is busy digesting for a longer period, that in itself would help keep your metabolism up. And, if you're not feeling hungry and lethargic, you're probably likely to be more active, and thus burn more calories.

When you restrict calories for a long period and your body senses possible starvation, it slows down the metabolism. Because muscle requires a constant supply of calories, the body will try to burn off muscle for it's fuel, since muscle is "expensive" to maintain. The body will try its best to hold on to the fat since fat doesn't require much at all in maitenance calories and it's a good insulator. That's my personal take on it.

Just remember that EFA's ARE fats and DO have calories, so they should REPLACE (not just supplement) some of the "bad" fats you might be eating.

This is the scientific explanation (couched in layman's term)

EFA (unsaturated fat) are kinds of fat that do not solidify. Put Flax seed oil in the refrigerator and they will not harden up. Omega-3 from deep sea fish (salmon) is also the same. These type of fat do not become solid fat (unlike saturated fat which solidifies into lard-like substance).

So, what does that mean ? Imagine your body fat ... clinging all over your body like LARD (solid fat).... now when you exercise, some of these solid brown and hardened fat begins to break down. Now, EFA (liquid fat) will try to help mobilize these Solid Fat (imagine that the oil your body like a well-oiled machine)... once your stubborn solid fats are broken down and mobilized efficiently by liquid fat (EFA) across your blood stream ... it's easier to turn them to energy.

I'm just trying to using the term liquid fat ... to help you visualize what EFAs are doing to solid fat ... liquid fat washes and mobilizes solid fat. Just remember EFAs do not solidify.

good explanation, cyber. :) i've been wondering... do efa's help in the reduction of cholesterol levels, as well??? thanks.

emmab~
I was wondering exactly this a little while ago so I posted the question. I got some great responses you may want to check out. It is subjected "good fat???" and I bumped it up for you so you don't hafta go back searching for it. It's some great info that will be helpful for you.

Later.

~dE;)

sweets,

Yes, studies have shown that EFAs can lower cholesterol level ...

In fact, EFA will oil your muscles ... give it flexibility.

I used to have stiff muscles around my neck and shoulder .. once I took Flax oil ... it was gone ..

There are so many benefits to EFAs .... :)

Don't forget that dietary fats, during pregnancy, go to building the sheath around the developing child's nerves, which continues into babyhood, which is why you don't put babies on a low-fat diet.

DiPasquale, in his book "The anabolic diet" states that all this obsession with carbs has been caused by the food giant corporations, because from agriculture there's lots to earn, while meat doesn't give same earning capabilities, since there's not much processing involved.

I think this is very true.

have you ever thought that the average man's diet consists have of an extremely low amount of protein ?
Mainly carbs, in majority refined, plus some bad fats. Then they wonder why there's obesity and cholesterol, and give the fault to fat!

Top Bottom