Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Public Speaking

krishna

How do any of you stay calm when having to give a speech or presentation? I have one in a few hours, and my nerves are going haywire.

i had to give a speech in HS, in french
and with my accent, it sucked and i was nervous as crap

krishna said:
How do any of you stay calm when having to give a speech or presentation? I have one in a few hours, and my nerves are going haywire.

40oz of Mickey's, or an ativan, if non of the above take a sudafed

It's always more nerve racking for me to speak in front of my peers.

You know the information well enough to speak about it. Just remember everyone is there to learn something from you. It's more empowering than intimidating after a while.

the best thing is to practive a little in front of a mirror - make sure you give eye contact but more just to make sure you know they are understanding - look at each person for like 2 seconds then move to the next one. speak slow, take breathes and pause when you need to. It is always nervous when everyone is looking at you and listening, so its almost impossible not to be, but just roll with it. Have your notes but do not stay glued to them. Make sure also you have read over your material well enough to explain it to someone on a one on one. This helps you to have a more smooth delivery since you know the information and are not just reading aloud. If there is someone you know well and feel comfortable with - use then as sounding board to look at for comfort. They will relax you and let them know ahead of time to - the nod of head by a person you know helps a lot to make you relax.

Focus on your breathing. Nerves will make them shorter and quicker. Take long breaths. Starting is the hardest part. But if you know the material you're speaking about, it gets much easier as you go through it. I've always hated giving speeches. Once I got going it was hard to shut me up. The starting was the bitch for me.

Top Bottom