Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Today's 5 x 5 workout and some fun facts

Jim Ouini

So today I did Wk 6 Day 1 of 5 x 5. (3 x 3) It went pretty well.

Squat:

330 x 3 x 3. I'd like to say ATF but there might've been room to slide a sheet or two of paper ;) I mean when I just hold onto the squat rack (like an ole' sissy squat) and go hams in full contact with the calves, that's ATF to me. I'm not that low.

Anyway I'm satisfied with the current depth below parallel and will continue to work on it in my next DFHT/5 x 5 cycle.

Bench and BB row:

240 x 1 x 3

All in all pretty good workout. The only concern I have is that I may be approaching my 1/3 x 3 max too soon. I guess my 3 rep max isn't much higher than my 5 rep max from the volume phase; let's just say I'm getting to know the 2.5lb plates very well :p

Fun facts to know and tell:

- I slammed a 35lb plate on my finger trying to rack it. I have a big bruise on my fingernail now. Stupid Bally's and their messy gym (well it was my fault but I felt like blaming them).

- a couple knuckleheads were doing chest while I was working out. The short(er) muscular types with the muscle shirts, sun tattoos on the shoulder and suchlike. Screaming and exhorting eachother with primeval screams of 'CMON BITCH' and 'TOO LIGHT BABY'. Sprinting back and forth from the flat bench to the hammer strength bench while doing supersets, and debating proper form for incline fly's for the whole gym to hear. Plus inbetween sets the louder one would wail away to the song playing on his MP3 player (I assume). It souned like 'Working for the Weekend' by Loverboy but I can't be sure.

-I don't mean to be mean but some really obese guy showered next to me (it's like a prison shower, just a big pit with showerheads) and his shower water started splashing on me, so I hustled out of there pronto, came home and felt like immersing myself in boiling water. It was really gross.

what a disturbing story. :evil: Every part, but especially the end with fat guy water run-off. I can't wait to see the movie with Johnnie Depp. :lmao: K for ya.

Tom Treutlein said:
How much weight have you gained thus far?

About 4-5lbs as of today. Started at 178 now about 183. So not an appreciable amount to date.

I understand the majority of the gains come in the intensity (my current) phase; I hope this is the case and being pretty careful about keeping volume down now.

I also have to calculate my daily calories. 80% of the time I eat the following (on weekends I eat whatever), but this is unchanged from how I used to eat so this isn't a variable I don't think:

Meal 1: coffee, oatmeal with protein powder and milk
Meal 2: 3 egg whites + ham + cheese breakfast sandwich
Meal 3: Fruit (banana, orange, berries) + yogurt + protein powder + grapenuts :))) smoothie. I also had fish oil here.
Meal 4: Preworkout shake + apple
Meal 5: Postworkout shake
Meal 6: Turkey/ham lunchmeat/tomato/cucumber sandwich w/chips (sometimes I miss this meal)
Meal 7: Fish, chicken or spaghetti with meat sauce, veggies
Meal 8: P&B toast + grapenuts
Meal 9: Protein shake

I also try to drink the requisite amount of water during the day.

I finally have a food scale so I'm going to see if my diet supports my weight gain goals.

Tom Treutlein said:
You should be eating 3600+ calories a day. I doubt what you're eating adds up to that amount. Care to add it for us?

Did a rough estimate based on food packaging labels. I can't figure out how to use my damn electronic scale :( (it has preprogrammed food codes and nutrional amounts)

Meal 1: coffee, oatmeal with protein powder and milk = 270
Meal 2: 3 egg whites + ham + cheese breakfast sandwich = 250
Meal 3: Fruit (banana, orange, berries) + yogurt + protein powder + grapenuts () smoothie. I also had fish oil here. = 400
Meal 4: Preworkout shake + apple = 300
Meal 5: Postworkout shake = 340
Meal 6: Turkey/ham lunchmeat/tomato/cucumber sandwich w/chips (sometimes I miss this meal) = 400
Meal 7: Fish, chicken or spaghetti with meat sauce, veggies = 500
Meal 8: P&B toast + grapenuts = 240
Meal 9: Protein shake = 280

So that gets me to roughly 3000. You're right I could use another high calorie meal or two (critical that I don't miss any of the above, too)

Time to add that Big Mac :p

Jim Ouini said:
So that gets me to roughly 3000. You're right I could use another high calorie meal or two (critical that I don't miss any of the above, too)

Time to add that Big Mac :p

You already have a lot of meals, you might try adding more food to what you already eat rather than putting in more meals which can be problematic from scheduling. For instance - keep in the egg yokes in your morning meal. Add several whole eggs to each of your shakes. When you have a shake, eat a tuna sandwhich too or some other standard food. Those shakes supply protein but are relatively low on calories and you aren't exactly eating a lot of regular food either so this is more of a factor. In college I used to live on eggs and ground beef/turkey. I'd brown the ground beef and then throw the eggs in - have that on 2 sandwiches or with a vegtables and rice. Very cheap with a lot of protein and cals.

Madcow2 said:
You already have a lot of meals, you might try adding more food to what you already eat rather than putting in more meals which can be problematic from scheduling. For instance - keep in the egg yokes in your morning meal. Add several whole eggs to each of your shakes. When you have a shake, eat a tuna sandwhich too or some other standard food. Those shakes supply protein but are relatively low on calories and you aren't exactly eating a lot of regular food either so this is more of a factor. In college I used to live on eggs and ground beef/turkey. I'd brown the ground beef and then throw the eggs in - have that on 2 sandwiches or with a vegtables and rice. Very cheap with a lot of protein and cals.

You are right it's already hard to get all my meals in and I'm not a big eater to start with.

Since I do like ground beef quite a bit I think I'll make my morning sammich a bit bigger and add some calories to my shakes, like maybe peanut butter.

Re: adding egg, are you talking raw? I read here http://www.eggwhitesint.com/healthfacts.htm that you have to cook it to make the protein available (although I know we're just talking calories here). Or did I fall for some marketing BS? ;)

Jim Ouini said:
Re: adding egg, are you talking raw? I read here http://www.eggwhitesint.com/healthfacts.htm that you have to cook it to make the protein available (although I know we're just talking calories here). Or did I fall for some marketing BS? ;)

There are other issues with unpasteurized raw eggs but availability of protein isn't one to worry about. That said, I still do the raw egg thing from time to time (do as I say not as I do sort of thing - I keep my fingers crossed). You could always buy the pasteurized stuff in a carton and pour it in or cook a bunch up and put some scoops into the blender with your other shake stuff. The most important thing though is to get more cals into yourself on a consistent basis.

Madcow2 said:
There are other issues with unpasteurized raw eggs but availability of protein isn't one to worry about. That said, I still do the raw egg thing from time to time (do as I say not as I do sort of thing - I keep my fingers crossed). You could always buy the pasteurized stuff in a carton and pour it in or cook a bunch up and put some scoops into the blender with your other shake stuff. The most important thing though is to get more cals into yourself on a consistent basis.

Yeah I have the pasteurized stuff in a carton that I use.

I think I'll make some taco meat out of ground beef and add some egg for a breakfast burrito and maybe at lunch too. Now that I can eat.

Top Bottom