Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Please Help! I Can Not Squat

seriouslyfit

I want to do deep squats so bad but it seems like my body is physically unable to get down that far. How in the WORLD do you guys go down that far and not fall over. I am 5'5, slim, with long legs. I want to do the squats the right way but everytime I try to go all the way down my feet lift up. Everytime I try to keep my feet on the floor my body starts to tip over. The ONLY way I can go down that far is if I hold on to something. Does anyone else have this problem.

I did until I started stretching and practicing form. Can you do body weight squats without falling over?

balance issues at all?

Couple things you can do -

- put small plates under your heels
- sit way back into your squat - make sure your butt is sticking out and you are thrusting from your pelvis on the way up instead of from your back.
- practice doing unweighted squats just to get the form --
- do box squats -- set a box or bench underneath you when you do the squat -- a "complete" box squat is when you just touch your butt on the bench and then explode back up. Its not meant to sit on - frankly that just messes up my motion. But it gives you a safety point in case you feel like you are going to drop. So work on controlling the downward motion, light touch and then strong back up. When you can do these w/ control and tight form, you can get rid of the bench, lower the bench or whatever. Its a really great tool to get you to the next level of good quality squat.

So, you cant squat for squat huh? LOL, sorry, I have a very bad sense of humor! Try stretching more. Both in the morning and at night. Keep trying and eventually you will be able to get down that far. Most doctors will tell you that you should never take your knees beyond 90 degrees anyway.

seriouslyfit said:
I want to do deep squats so bad but it seems like my body is physically unable to get down that far. How in the WORLD do you guys go down that far and not fall over. I am 5'5, slim, with long legs. I want to do the squats the right way but everytime I try to go all the way down my feet lift up. Everytime I try to keep my feet on the floor my body starts to tip over. The ONLY way I can go down that far is if I hold on to something. Does anyone else have this problem.

Your longer legs are part of what's making it feel harder and more unnatural for you to go deep. Part of it is probably lack of hip flexibility as well.

Sassy pretty much covered it, but I'll just add a few details. If you're going to rock bottom depth you have two choices in terms of foot placement. You can either keep them slightly wider than shoulder width (toes pointed slightly outward) with a 1" plate or board under your heels, or you can can take a much wider stance (toes pointed a bit more outward) with your feet flat. However, you'll have to do one or the other in able to lower yourself all the way to your achilles.

I think the single most important thing you can do is to practice form with an unloaded bar. Focus on your form. Try three sets, completely unloaded, per workout for a few weekends. Just do it until the motion begins to feel comfortable and natural.

And what kind of shoes are you wearing when you do this? Some sneakers, like cross trainers, just don't work. I couldn't squat for deads until I changed over to an essentially flat shoe, sometimes I'll even wear my slippers. Can't do it in my regular walking sneakers, though.

Like Sass said, try plates under your heels. I did this for about a month, then the boyfriend kicked the "training wheels" from under me and I was good to go.
Practice is the key

MM..I think you may have it. I also can't go right into a deep squat, but never thought of my shoes till I read this. I can deep squat at home with no trouble and good form with no weight and bare feet. I'll try it at the gym tomorrow with my flat shoes. :)

musclemom said:
I couldn't squat for deads until I changed over to an essentially flat shoe, sometimes I'll even wear my slippers. Can't do it in my regular walking sneakers, though.

yeah Chuck Taylors have always been the reccomended squat footwear b/c they're perfectly flat. For me it's barefoot.

RottenWillow said:
yeah Chuck Taylors have always been the reccomended squat footwear b/c they're perfectly flat. For me it's barefoot.
:cold: Concrete floor!!!

Well, that and basement is where I keep the pans so it gets a little gritty.

Top Bottom