Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

female perspective on diet...for my mum

maso

hi guys
need a bit of advice from a female perspective.

Just got back from uni for the holidays, to find my mum (whos 56) has been on a "shapeworks/herbal life" diet, that is supposed to help with fat loss.
Unfortunately this isnt the case and since i last saw her my mum has piled on the weight.
Looking through all the stuff the woman from hebal life gave her, i was supprised by the high daily protein intake she was getting from this.... about 65g before she even has an evening meal. (high considering she doesnt workout). Added to this i was even more supprised to see that the woman (not even a nutritionist) from herbal life told her to mix the protein shakes with milk, so shes having over a pint of milk a day.

Im not too sure what to suggest other than ditch the shapeworks and go to a nutritionist.
Would really apreciate some help on suggestions for female dieting.
Thanks,
Maso

I'm not familiar w/ that diet - can you post up what is a sample daily meal plan? I.e. meal 1 (8 am) 1/2 cup oatmeal + 3 eggs, meal 2 (11 am): 4 oz chicken + 2 c broccoli, etc.

If she's like my parents (age 65, 67), probably didnt' get enough protein in the first place -- I personally eat at around 150 g protein / day so how much is enough I guess is relative. The milk in the protein shake - she may not be getting enough fat or calcium? hard to say -- can you post up the whole eating plan. Also it would really help if she started exercising. It just would.

thanks for that sassy
basically she was on a shake for breakfast and lunch, then a meal in the evening. After i looked at the shakes contents again, i realised they were packed full of carbs, made up of mainly sugars. (didnt help she was having really fatty yogurts and salad dressings)
really wasnt impressed with the whole thing, so ive got her to dump it and go see a nutritionist and go to the gym more.

thanks again

maso

Let me guess... slimfat right? If they limit people to their shake for 2 meals & regular food for the last, there's got to be some result just from the controlled amount of calories, but they also have a captured audience for a guaranteed 2 shakes / day, 14/ week, 56/month. Marketing. That stuff is crap. Eat real food.

The Body for Life program is really good as an intro for both basics of nutrition & training.

Good luck to her!

As with any of us - how bad does she want it? Women and men are no different regarding diet - calorie deficit equals loss, calorie excess equals gain. (Without taking into account an number of other things . . )

If she really wants it, try South Beach Diet, Body for Life or Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle. Any of the balanced programs will work for the long-term, but most people don't want to make it happen . . because that is work and requires getting out of the comfort zone. NO fad diet, miracle pill or amazing shake is going to substitute for clean diet and moving the fanny!

Google 'ageless fitness' for a story of a woman who started at 58 . . and is now winning bodybuilding competitions at 75 and testing out in physical stamina, balance, bone mass, etc. as a 25-40 year old (depending on test). Check out the website www.skwigg.com for Body for Life for those who can't stand giving up chocolate (or ice cream or . . ) It can be done and it is simple . . but not easy, nothing worth having is ever easy!

thanks for the help guys. especially that site wlmcrae. Ill use it to make up a programme for my mum. fortunately after all my nagging shes finally started to go to the gym for this last week. hard bit is to keep her doing it while im away.
Ill have a look at those diets you mentioned and see what will suit her lifestyle best. fo now ive given her a sample weeks menu for her to start eating healthier. will get her to try that for a few weeks then get her back onto the diets.
thanks again

maso

maso - tell your mom we're sending her support & good karma to get that habit establilshed & get to her goals!

will do. will let you know how she gets on. dont want her too get too buff. cant have her kicking my ass on bench!!!!

maso said:
will do. will let you know how she gets on. dont want her too get too buff. cant have her kicking my ass on bench!!!!

Come on! You know you would be so proud!

"... yea well my mom can outlift you any day...!"

Top Bottom