Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

To cleanse

whiteknight39 said:
what is the purpose of a cleanse????
What are the pros and cons???

I hear about many athletes doing these

something like this one
http://www.strategicliving.isagenix....ay.dhtml?inv=0

Would one not loose muscle mass not taking in sufficient protein for 9 days and loosing weight that fast????

Thanks
That link didn't work for me.

Cleasing your body of toxins IMO is a good thing. I don't think the muscle loss in 9 days is going to be that significant where it would be an issue.

Great info here on what a true cleanse can do for the body, and not just the 'colon'...

"The understanding of health for two thousand years before that said that the body (living environment) causes disease when it is overwhelmed by overfeeding and poisoned by artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, fats, etc. What we call disease is merely the body's way of dealing with those toxins. Thus anything that allows the elimination organs (liver, intestines, kidneys, gall bladder, skin, and lungs) a chance to concentrate on eliminating old toxins (without adding any new ones) will speed its healing."

The "weight" you are losing is going to be:
1) any "stuff" backed up in your colon ---- who knows what could be in there as byproduct of a lifetime of consuming non-optimal food?
2) water
3) anything additional that is "held" by toxins.

- Consider for example that you can do one of those herbal wraps and literally lose inches after standing around in herb-soaked bandages like a mummy for an hour. It flushes stuff out but really its just bloat & shit that you are losing.

An "detox diet" is low on protein for the purpose of not introducing further stuff that results from the metabolizing of protein. So you load stuff that is usually fast-metabolizing stuff like fruit / veggie carbs high in enzymes and other stuff that helps to get rid of free radicals and other by-products of the various body processes.

IMO it's part of phase that you would do just like a bulker or competition diet. I try to do at least 1 detox diet for a week or two after a competition because that whole 4 months of high protein and limited variety of things (e.g. no fruit = no enzymes that normally are used to shuttle out the daily waste of "living") to get myself back to a good, clean place to start up again instead of perpetually assuming a very tight & limited variety diet will be the best for me. You just can't stay in the same "state" of diet, training, cardio, etc. If you eliminate things from your diet - sure fruits, etc. are higher in sugar, but they also serve a purpose in a balanced diet. If you eliminate them, you are left w/ an inefficiency in the part of the 'process' of your body that is needed to keep it running efficiently.

To that point, whatever little muscle you would lose over 9 days or whatever short term is sort of just the cost of letting your body accommodate a longer period of time on a high protein, restricted diet.

Thanks so much to both of you......again

I have to tell you... I ask a lot of questions and I frequent several sites.....but the best explained and most comprehensive answers have come from here.....

Sassy you rock....you are a fountain of knowledge....and everything I have learned from your posts has helped me on my journey

I have decided to start my new year with a cleanse.....
and then start a new journal in preparation to compete for the Canadian Nationals

Thanks again Sassy and Bunny :)

You go girl!!!! Best wishes for you on that journey !!!

I love getting mineral wraps.. the mummy reference sassy mentioned. I wish I could afford them !

whiteknight39 said:
Thanks so much to both of you......again

I have to tell you... I ask a lot of questions and I frequent several sites.....but the best explained and most comprehensive answers have come from here.....

Sassy you rock....you are a fountain of knowledge....and everything I have learned from your posts has helped me on my journey

I have decided to start my new year with a cleanse.....
and then start a new journal in preparation to compete for the Canadian Nationals

Thanks again Sassy and Bunny :)

I ben around da block a few times. You'd die laughing at some of my stories about the shit I've done in the name of competition. The herbal wrap thing I did a week or so before my last show - you want to give it a few days to let your body shuttle out all the stuff that got 'loosened up' (so don't do this the day before your show....). But my concern was that I have started to collect more bodyfat in my waist and having lost it during competition prep, I was doign everything I coudl get pull out all the water, tighten up the skin, etc in that area. But here was an interesting result for me - considering I'd already been on a 9000% clean diet for 4 months for prep, I was already extremely lean, they ended up giving me the wrap for free because they only pulled off a cumulative 1/4" of "size". They use a tape measure on several points on your body before you start - elbows, chest, waist, hips, thighs, knees, etc so they can tell you "how much you lost" after you do the wrap thing. The place I went had a policy that if the total lost was smaller than a certain amount, they give it to you free. I guess that either means it didn't work or you have nothing to lose from it. But I guess it was good as far as giving me a thumbs-up on my leaning out process.

But in general I am a hyuge proponent of letting your body work the way it is supposed to. The bodybuilding lifestyle is extremely restricitive and you have GOT to assume there are costs to it somewhere. So again, do everything in the 'off season' that you can to allow your body to recover, not accumulate shit and be in a good starting place when you rebomb yourself w/ the next round of prep.

Plus it just feels good to get the crap out. You don't realize there's crap until you let it clear out.

Very interesting read. Thanks Sassy. That would explain my legs and ankles swelling up 2 weeks post comp. My trainer put me on the most disgusting detox for 4 weeks. Apart from the flavour it was like drinking a cup full of oysters...yukkkk. I think I might give this cleanse a go and see how my body reacts as I still feel very tired and sluggish since my comp. Maybe this will do the trick.
Again thanks Sassy & Bunny for the great info. You're legends
:) :) :heart:

atasr5 said:
Very interesting read. Thanks Sassy. That would explain my legs and ankles swelling up 2 weeks post comp. My trainer put me on the most disgusting detox for 4 weeks. Apart from the flavour it was like drinking a cup full of oysters...yukkkk. I think I might give this cleanse a go and see how my body reacts as I still feel very tired and sluggish since my comp. Maybe this will do the trick.
Again thanks Sassy & Bunny for the great info. You're legends
:) :) :heart:

Read this article (http://www.mindandmuscle.net/mindandmuscle/magpage.php?issueID=40&artID=49) about Post Competition Syndrome. Your trainer probably did the detox diet to help clean your body out as well as make it an easier rebound. Lots is going on when you finish the extremes of competition and people forget that you can't do one extreme and then just stop w/o expecting to go thru an equal and opposite extreme so your body can re-establish itself at a happy medium that it can maintain. Especiallly when it is practically tradition to schedule a food orgy for the minute you get off stage.

Sassy69 said:
Read this article (http://www.mindandmuscle.net/mindandmuscle/magpage.php?issueID=40&artID=49) about Post Competition Syndrome. Your trainer probably did the detox diet to help clean your body out as well as make it an easier rebound. Lots is going on when you finish the extremes of competition and people forget that you can't do one extreme and then just stop w/o expecting to go thru an equal and opposite extreme so your body can re-establish itself at a happy medium that it can maintain. Especiallly when it is practically tradition to schedule a food orgy for the minute you get off stage.
Thanks Sassy ...I'll go have a read of this. :heart:

Top Bottom