Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Workout critique please

logik_brooklyn

Whats up fellas,

I've been lifting for a while, with a pretty good general knowledge of training, recently I decided I wanted to try something new after years of basically the "same" regimen.

Example: Normally my chest routine would be, all medium weight - flat bench 4 sets of 10, incline 4x10, decline 4x10 cable flys (high, mid and low) all 4 x 10.

Two weeks ago I decided to change it up a bit and do heavier weight - flat bench 8 x 6, incline 8 x 6 and decline 8 x 6.

Same goes for back, shoulders etc.... instead of all the isolations, I'm doing heavier weights, more sets lets reps.

Any positive / negatives to doing this? Obviously I'm not looking to cut, I'm aware of that part....

A clear change in training approaches is needed every 12 weeks in order to keep getting results (i.e.weight, rep range, rest times, rep tempo, etc.). This is a basic understanding behind periodizing.

I also change up my routine every couple of months, some times higher reps, sometimes heavier low reps, sometimes I focus more on compound lifts for a while. Change is good.

I change up my routine every 4-6 weeks, often following a linear periodization scheme. If trying to build muscle, I'll usually back off the reps and use heavier weight...and will train 2 a days 4x a week with 3 days off. If trying to get cut, I'll usually just up my volume, shorten my rest periods, and lower the overall intensity just a smidge.

If you are going to mess around with low reps and risk gaining strength.... god forbid... you should up the weight and drop the sets. You can't be pushing yourself if you are doing 24 sets of chest.

Top Bottom