Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Resting up for a week? what do yall think

ChinkNasty

hey yall, I have just completed 6 weeks of lifting (5 days a week split with only saturdays and sundays off) and I feel like my body's kinda stressin' out - my shoulders hurt (though not severe) and my back's kinda sore more than often...so, I'm thinking of resting a week and then hitting the weights hard again...my only problem right now is I have hit a few PR's in the last few weeks and so I'm not sure if I'm going to lose too much strength and have to work my way back once I start again...what do you guys think?

Bench: 315x3 (PR last week)
deads: 405x8 off-the-floor (PR last week)

also, my bodyweight's hovering at 175...I'm trying to get up to 185 by the end of summer...do you think I should keep up my calorie/protein/carb intake or just eat less (to lessen 'bad' weight gain)...I might just do cardio/wind sprints and abs during this week off...

thanks bros,
CN

If you feel like gains are stagnant then it might be a good idea to take a week off from lifting. Sounds like you are feeling beat up. You wont lose any gains, maybe a tiny bit of strength but that will come back in no time at all.

UA_Iron said:
If you feel like gains are stagnant then it might be a good idea to take a week off from lifting. Sounds like you are feeling beat up. You wont lose any gains, maybe a tiny bit of strength but that will come back in no time at all.

yea bro, I'm definitely feeling a little tired...its especially hard to work a 5 day split after a 9 hour workday too...haha

ChinkNasty said:
yea bro, I'm definitely feeling a little tired...its especially hard to work a 5 day split after a 9 hour workday too...haha

oh I hear ya,

I work from 6am to 2:30pm and working out is one of the hardest things to do after working all day. My workouts have suffered because of this.

Yeah, I agree. Always take a break when you feel yourself starting to get those aches more than usual. I always do some light cardio and stretching when I take a week off.

ebear said:
Yeah, I agree. Always take a break when you feel yourself starting to get those aches more than usual. I always do some light cardio and stretching when I take a week off.

yea man, I think thats what I'm about to do...do some running (my weight training is mainly for rugby) and some active recovery stretching...

Rugby is a brutal sport, I have known a couple guys that are messed up from the sport and it stunted their lifting. Sure looks like fun though

UA_Iron said:
Rugby is a brutal sport, I have known a couple guys that are messed up from the sport and it stunted their lifting. Sure looks like fun though

haha yea...its not as barbaric as everyone thinks it is...and it really is a ball if you know what you're doing out there...been playing since high school and fortunately have never gotten seriously injured (my roommate last year dislocated his kneecap in a game...pretty bad shape)

Nice PR's! If you feel its really necessary it shouldnt be too bad to take a week off. I usually wouldnt take that much time off, Ill atleast hit chest once a week. If I skip on chest I pay for it. Everyone reacts differently to rest though. Some people claim to come back stronger after a rest. And I know I have come back stronger as well from some rests, but Ive also come back weaker from others. If I skip a week of chest though, I can expect a decrease in strength most likely. If youve taken rests before, and have maintained well then it might do you some good to rest up the joints. If I needeed a rest Id probabally take 6 days off and get chest in atleast once. I almost never do this though. Four days is a huge rest for me.

WalkingBeast said:
Nice PR's! If you feel its really necessary it shouldnt be too bad to take a week off. I usually wouldnt take that much time off, Ill atleast hit chest once a week. If I skip on chest I pay for it. Everyone reacts differently to rest though. Some people claim to come back stronger after a rest. And I know I have come back stronger as well from some rests, but Ive also come back weaker from others. If I skip a week of chest though, I can expect a decrease in strength most likely. If youve taken rests before, and have maintained well then it might do you some good to rest up the joints. If I needeed a rest Id probabally take 6 days off and get chest in atleast once. I almost never do this though. Four days is a huge rest for me.

haha, I knew I wasn't gonna get a suggestion for rest coming from the beast :). Thanks for the encouragement though bro! You know what, I agree with you...like sometimes I'll come back stronger but other times I'll feel like I'll need a few more workouts to get back into the swing...I might hit chest like you said once this upcoming week and then take it easy for a couple days...its just so hard to get over that mental barrier of making yourself rest though haha...

later,
CN

Top Bottom