Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Proper form for CLOSE-GRIP BENCH PRESS

DanielBishop

I've tried to incorporate this exercise into my routine a few times, but always abandoned it because it didn't feel like it was working properly for me.

Obviously I have incorrect form, or I'm not lifting heavy enough. But before going heavier, I'd like to make sure of what the proper form is.

I've seen some guys hold the bar about shoulder-width apart and lower their arms down so that the inside of their biceps brushes their ribcage.

And then I've seen other hold the bar with hands almost touching, and elbows go right out wide.

I think the former is the more correct way, but I'm unsure. If someone could clear this up, I'd love to start doing these properly.

Definitely the first way. Keep your elbows flush against your body while doing close grips. Also, some people can bring their grip in further than others because of wrist flexibility and what have you. But in my opinion, the benefits of bringing your grip any closer than index on the smooth are small compared to the risks of wrist injury.

i like to have my grip a little less narrower than shoulder width.

Go really heavy with the weight and you will get awesome gains in your triceps! I know i have.

Thanks!!

Maybe I just needed to up the weight.

I have pissweak wrists, though.... when I was 12 I fell off a cliff and shattered both of my forearms (ulna AND radius in both arms).... they weren't just compound fractures either, I reduced the bones to powder. Anyway, point being my wrists don't like being bent and twisted too much so I won't narrow my grip too much.

Thanks again. Can't wait to get into these.

Hands somewhere around 8-10" apart on the bar, and concentrate on keeping your elbows tucked in close to your body, that will put the most stress on your tris and keep your shoulders and wrists safe

Lower the bar to your lower sternum as well. Too high on the chest and you'll be close to doing JM presses.

(I think those are JM presses, no?)

gettin larger, jm presses are almost what you said, but once our upper arms become parallel to your body (or somewhere around there) you start curl your arms like an extension, so a jm press is sort of a mix between closegrip and a skull crusher

Make sure that your arms stay close to your body and that you pause at the bottom and don't bounce the bar off your sternum, hold it there for one sec and then press straight ahead kepping your elbows in. If your wrist are weak i would suggest to get some wrist wraps for your heaviest sets, since you will be using a little less than flat bench poundages....

Do you guys get a good pump from close grips? I find my form is good but I don't seem to get as pumped as on other exercises. Any tips?

Top Bottom