Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

For the lifters who believe in Mark Rippletoe's Teachings...

Also, looks like your knees might be turning in just a bit. Could be the angle though. Make sure you're driving your knees out hard.

I dont like the position your spine is in at the top of the lift, your spine should be neutral especially with a load as light as that. Youre also getting zero hip extension. Losing alot of power by not getting your hips through.

When you say get your hips through, what do you mean by that? What could I do differently next time? Also, should my chest be up and out more standing more tall? Where should I look? Noticed my chin wasn't down. Thanks!

Looks pretty good from what we can see in the vid. Good depth, looks like your knees are ok, stance is ok, back is arched during the rep. Only thing is, as jigga mentioned, you do some sort of weird thing where you don't completely extend your hips and stand up. It might be that you're concentrating too hard on arching your back to the point of hyperextending your spine while your at the top position. As you bend down, your spine flattens out into a more natural position. It looks like at the top you might just be hyperextended and your glutes arent fully flexed. If that makes sense.

If you want a real serious critique on your form I'll give ya one. Keep in mind that I train with a world class powerlifter that has held titles and squatted 900 below parallel in single ply gear.

First off you're going down wrong. Nobody without hip, back or knee issues squats like that in real life. You are purposely pushing your hips back. This is not how the body is designed to squat. Watch a baby squat down. That is how you squat. Straight down between your legs. If you squat ultra wide westside style in a mono-lift with a canvas suit on you might squat that way otherwise I don't recommend it.

There is an absolute shit load of misinformation on the internet. I respect alot of Mark Rippetoe's writings, but he has never squatted 900lbs and even trying to squat 400lbs the way he actually espouses it in his book is a good way to plaster your face to the floor.

So..

1. Squat straight down. Your feet angle look alright. I would probably move your heels in 1-2". Even at the angle we're seeing I think you are a little wider than necessary.

2. You do appear to be craning your head backwards which is not necessary. I do recommend looking slightly up, but only a little upwards head tilt. Too much flexion with a heavy weight on your back can hurt your neck.

3. Push your elbows back and up at the top of every rep and puff your chest up. Take a solid breath, hold it and then squat straight down. With proper heel width and toe angle if you squat straight down when you hit bottom your back angle will be in perfect position. In fact you will have a literally text book squat when viewed directly from the side. Go all the way down until you can't go lower. If you are maintaining a tight upper back you won't have to guess when you squat straight down. Just go down and you'll know when you hit rock bottom.

4. Elbow drive and breath out. As soon as you hit bottom try to now push your elbows forward so that if viewed from the side your elbows would be directly under the bar. This facilitates an upper chest position, shoulders rotated back and forearms pressing up under the bar position and is ideal when lifting really maximal weight or on the last couple reps of a hard set when you start wanting to lean over more. Once you start getting past the sticking point release the air you have been holding through pursed lips because you do not want to release it all or you risk losing tension and collapsing in and forward.

Once you are at the top reset your elbows pulling them back behind you and up hard to maximize upper back tightness. Big chest and take a breath while looking slightly up and flexing your abs and squat again etc etc.

If you do this right I guarantee if you have yourself recorded doing it your squat form from the side will look text book BALLER style.

Top Bottom