Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Lagging Chest...do fly's before pressing movements?

JG1

Chest has always been a weak bodypart of mine. I'v never been able to build thick pecs that are in proportion to the rest of my body. My Shoulders, arms, back, and legs are very thick (I'm 5'8" 225lbs), but damn I just can't bring my chest out.

Here's what a typical chest workout looks like:

Flat Bench.....3 x 4-8
d-bell incline....3 x 4-8
flat fly's.......3 x 6-10

I might substitute an excercise here or there, but it usualy stays as two pressing movements followed by a fly movement. All sets are done to failure BTW. This heavy intense training works wonders for the rest of my body, but just not for pecs. I train every muscle once a week. I seem to have a hard to getting a great pump in my pecs also, I mean I get a decent pump, but its not that skin stretching pump that I get with other bodyparts.

Should I try something like this and do fly's first:

Flat Fly's......3 x 6-10
d-bell incline...3 x 4-8
flat bench....3 x 4-8

Just need some opinions on bringing my chest up to par with the rest of my body.

i've always thought the other way around....i dunno maybe im wrong maybe not ...but what i would do is presses liek db inclines, bench, be4 flyes get mroe strenght = lift more = get bigger....

aight, hope this helps, peace,

DD

dankduke said:
i've always thought the other way around....i dunno maybe im wrong maybe not ...but what i would do is presses liek db inclines, bench, be4 flyes get mroe strenght = lift more = get bigger....

aight, hope this helps, peace,

DD

Thats exactly what I've always done. I have the strength in my chest, thats not the problem, its just that this type of training has gotten my chest quite strong, but lacking in overall thickness.

You can always superset for a while to bring up your intensity.

Flat bench with incline dbell flyes
Flat Bench with dips

Try 10 reps, try 1-3 reps, closer grips, elbows wider, wider grips, elbows tucked, SLIGHT decline, inclines first, etc...

What is your strength like on your chest?

B True

b fold the truth said:
You can always superset for a while to bring up your intensity.

Flat bench with incline dbell flyes
Flat Bench with dips

Try 10 reps, try 1-3 reps, closer grips, elbows wider, wider grips, elbows tucked, SLIGHT decline, inclines first, etc...

What is your strength like on your chest?

B True

Yeah, I haven't thought about supersetting, it's a good idea.

On flat bench press I can hit 365 for 6 reps......certainly not anything special, but decently strong. Incline d-bells with 125's too light for me to start out with...can get about 12-13 reps. Thats the highest my gym has in d-bells though.

Was actualy thinking of adding in some weighted dips.

Super-setting is a good idea. You may want to try drop-sets as well. I think that because your arms, shoulders and back are stronger than your chest they may taking a lot of the pressing load. As much as I hate to say it, you may need to hit the chest isolation stuff hard (i.e. flys, crossovers, dumbbell work, etc...). Good luck!

Remember that a strength bench press uses very little chest at all...your problem may lay in your form. There is a difference in how one benches for bodybuilding and how one does for strength. For safety...I suggest the strength method though...

B True

Screwball said:
Super-setting is a good idea. You may want to try drop-sets as well. I think that because your arms, shoulders and back are stronger than your chest they may taking a lot of the pressing load. As much as I hate to say it, you may need to hit the chest isolation stuff hard (i.e. flys, crossovers, dumbbell work, etc...). Good luck!

Thats what I was thinking. Perhaps I should start hitting heavy flys first and see if that helps.

BTW, my shoulders are very strong. I do seated d-bell presses with the 125's for 7-8 reps....no bullshit. I think they may be taking over when I do my chest workout.

I have always gotten more growth from flyes than bench presses. I also find that incline dumbell presses and dips help quite a bit. Fuck doing bench presses, they are only good for shoulder injuries.

Blkout said:
I have always gotten more growth from flyes than bench presses. I also find that incline dumbell presses and dips help quite a bit. Fuck doing bench presses, they are only good for shoulder injuries.

Good for a lot more than shoulder injuries...if done properly.

B True

Top Bottom