Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

horror stories benching ?

donny

had recent near-accident spotting guy benching in a DD, is a crash on face more likely with a DD ? What horror stories can you tell ?

I had a guy drop a bar on his face while I was spotting him. I consider it his fault. As a spotter I'm there to help him if he cannot lift it, and assist in racking the bar.

What did this guy do?

He was doing reps<benching> with 225, does about 10 or so, and then literally throws the bar into the upright. It bounces out and lands on his face.

I tried to explain to him that he must make an effort to rack the bar in a controled fashion.
Ok, maybe I was more like WTF!!!!!

He doesn't train with me anymore.

I saw a kid benching 185.... or more like doing lockouts with 185 lol...

Anyways, he couldn't get it up, and he didn't have clips on the weight, and all the weights crashed off of one side, then they came crashing down from the other side, it was quite funny.

way back when i started benching i got a shitty little bench in the basement and always tried to outdo myself......

first attempt...185lbs with clips on both sides. And no spotter, so i lift and lower the weight to my chest, and all of the sudden i realized that i had royally fucked myself. Although it wasnt pressed against my throat, i couldnt figure out what to do, so let it rest on my chest for a minute while i contemplated my own stupidity. So i began to roll it slowly down my chest (i couldnt throw it to the side) and as it got to my waist i sat up and scooted, yes scooted away from it so as to not separate my scrotum from my body. I had bruises all over my chest for the next week.

Seconds attempt...one week later.....185 with no clips, i didnt want the same thing to happen so i chose not to screw the clips on...so as i lifted it and lowered it again slowly i had realized that i learned nothing over the past week. The weight would not move off my chest. So i did the "smart" thing and dropped my left shoulder, letting all the weights on that side hit the ground...Little did i know the force of the bar comming upward when the weights fell, and the bar flew in the air, and as the other weights dropped the bar cracked the celing fan light, broke the light and made the most awful noise when it got jammed in the fan blades. With wood splinters flying i dove for cover in pitch black darkness... When the shitstrom stopped i ran upstairs, and when it got light outside i realized all the damage i had done...about 60lbs of broken weights on the floor, wood shrapnel just about everywhere, broken glass, and a cracked flooring.

From that point on i realized i needed a spotter

I believe it was an old wives tale, but there is the story of the kid who worked out in his basement alone and put 315 on the bar for (probabley) the hell of it. He did decline and the bar ended up right on his neck. His mom eventually went done and found the kid purple. Appearently he couldn't get it off and he killed himself.

Ovid151 said:
I believe it was an old wives tale, but there is the story of the kid who worked out in his basement alone and put 315 on the bar for (probabley) the hell of it. He did decline and the bar ended up right on his neck. His mom eventually went done and found the kid purple. Appearently he couldn't get it off and he killed himself.

may be an old wive's tale, but i believe it could happen. you drop that shit and it's got nowhere to go but your neck.

my embarassing moment....my workout partner hadn't arrived yet and there was this hottie on the bench next to me. thought i would impress her and loaded up 350, well within my limit, at the 8th rep felt a sharp pain in my shoulder and dropped the right side clank..clank..clank..then the left. while i was laying there groaning ms. hottie came over to see if i was ok. got her digits. now i'm married to her :D

Ovid151 said:
I believe it was an old wives tale, but there is the story of the kid who worked out in his basement alone and put 315 on the bar for (probabley) the hell of it. He did decline and the bar ended up right on his neck.

That happened to me about 15 years ago... no one in the gym and I was stuck. Luckily someone walked in after a lot panic on my part and helped me out.

I always do bench press inside the squat rack. That way, the bar will always be just above my chest level no matter what happens, so I guess thats safe. But I always start bench pressing from the lowest point and not from lockout though.

A couple of years ago I was attempting to bench 365 three times. On my third rep about half way up i was really straining and the bar rolled out of my hands and hit me in the chest. It did not hurt me too bad except for my ego and a little bruising. Since then I wrap my thumbs around the bar instead of leaving them under the bar.

Top Bottom