Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

good calf exercise for increasing VJ?

A nice move to increase Achilles tendon elasiticty and force storing potential, plus strengthing your calves/ankles. Calves may or may not get bigger, I know mine did :)
Some pople may get shin splints from this movement, so I suggest you also train your anterior tiblias as well.

from Defranco
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#9 “Pogo Jump” Warm-up – This is a warm-up we use before many of our lower body strength workouts, plyo workouts and speed workouts. It is not only a great warm- up, but we believe this “warm-up” may actually increase your vertical jump in and of itself! But first, let us describe exactly what a pogo jump is, anyway. A pogo jump is performed by jumping off of the ground by just springing off your ankles. While you’re in the air you want to dorsiflex your ankles, a.k.a. “pull your toes up”. You also must prevent your heels from ever touching the ground. The key to this exercise lies in your ability to keep your knees locked while jumping and landing on and off the ground, as well as spending the least amount of time on the ground as possible. Be sure not to flex at the hips, either. Many times when athletes perform this exercise their feet kick uncontrollably out in front of themselves. Don’t let this happen! Your whole body should remain in a perfectly straight line, with the exception of your ankles dorsiflexing while you’re in the air. We do both low and high pogo jumps in our warm-up. The technique remains exactly the same except for the height differences, of course. Low pogo jumps should be performed for speed. You only want to jump about 1” – 2” off the ground, but try to perform as many reps as possible in the required time. The goal of the high pogo jumps is to get as much height as possible by just springing off of your ankles during each jump. Pogo jumps are an incredible exercise that trains the Achilles tendon for elasticity. This will help to prevent ankle injuries as well as increase explosiveness. Here’s the warm-up we use…
A. Low Pogo Jumps – 3 sets of 20 seconds, rest 30 seconds between each set
B. High Pogo Jumps – 3 sets of 20 seconds, rest 30 seconds between each set

once i started squatting heavy my vertical shot up a lot without any calf work. I just started really hitting my calves now in the gym, but I see the biggest increases when I do plyos 2x a week. BTW I am a shotputter.

Achilles tendon elasticty is very important for power in jumping and sprinting etc. That's why those guys with high calves and very long achilles tendons jump/sprint so well :)

Nope, calves are like 10% of a jump if that, they are important, but not that big a deal.

jumping and bouncing on the toes is speed work for your calves :)

Don't bother breaking down the jump and isolating parts, jumping doens't work like that.

How I would split it up off the top of my head -

1) eccentric strength and reversal speed in the dip and absorbing energy when you dip to jump from motion - depth jumps and alttitude drops

2) concentric explosion - oly lifts, jumpsquats, speed squats, weighted ground based plyos, overhead medball throws

3) general strength - squats, deadlifts, pulls, good mornings etc

4) core strength - abs and lower back

5) arm swing power + intergration - pushpresses, incline presses, pull through dumbell swings, overhead medball throws and so on

6) achilles tendon elasticty - ankle jumps as per above

7) skill/technique - jumping

doing plyos on your toes, olys amd pulls, speed squats and GMs/RDLs onto toes etc as you should is enough for the calf strength and power

Top Bottom