Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

good calf exercise for increasing VJ?

CoolColJ said:
Nope, calves are like 10% of a jump if that, they are important, but not that big a deal.

jumping and bouncing on the toes is speed work for your calves :)

Don't bother breaking down the jump and isolating parts, jumping doens't work like that.

How I would split it up off the top of my head -

1) eccentric strength and reversal speed in the dip and absorbing energy when you dip to jump from motion - depth jumps and alttitude drops

2) concentric explosion - oly lifts, jumpsquats, speed squats, weighted ground based plyos, overhead medball throws

3) general strength - squats, deadlifts, pulls, good mornings etc

4) core strength - abs and lower back

5) arm swing power + intergration - pushpresses, incline presses, pull through dumbell swings, overhead medball throws and so on

6) achilles tendon elasticty - ankle jumps as per above

7) skill/technique - jumping

doing plyos on your toes, olys amd pulls, speed squats and GMs/RDLs onto toes etc as you should is enough for the calf strength and power

Great post. That makes things much clearer to me. I wish you'd write some articles on stuff like that.

How would you train a basketball/football player (preferably basketball), with lifting experience that is:

1. Beginner
2. Intermediate
3. Advanced

Exercises, organization of splits, and periodization. That would be so useful if you could go into that in any detail at all when you're not busy.

I wouldn't know to tell you the truth. It's still mostly educated guesswork for me at this stage :)

But for begineer, I would stress lots of jumping practsie and general strength lifts, with oly formwork
Intermediate, start to load the olys, add some low intenisty plyos
Advanced, bring in the depth jumps etc
Basicly begineers work on strength, intermediates still do so, but start to introduce speed strnegth means, and advanced is mostly speed strength work, eccentric strength and stretch reflex work

here is another breakdown I came up with

1) main sport exercises with added resistance - jumping with weighted vest

2) Assistance exercises
A - maximal strnegth - ie squats, deadlifts etc
B - Rate of force developement - olys, speed squats etc
C - DynamicStrength - light jumpsquats, weighted plyos
D - Stretch shortening cycle - plyos, depth jumps, power jerks etc

You're too humble. You know more about what I'm interested in than any PT or average certified guy.

How would you organize a typical session and weekly splits? For basketball, you never really peak (year-round), so is there any type of periodization?

What % is used for speed squats, or is it just intent?

What are weighted plyos?

What other plyos other than depth jumps are recommended?

While I'm working on increasing my squat, what else should I do? I've been doing olympic lifts for a little over 2 months (still working on the power form) and work on my jumping indirectly and directly.

Thanks if you can answer all that.

I can post my next cycle's split if you want to check it out.

delldell2 said:
You're too humble. You know more about what I'm interested in than any PT or average certified guy.

How would you organize a typical session and weekly splits? For basketball, you never really peak (year-round), so is there any type of periodization?

What % is used for speed squats, or is it just intent?

What are weighted plyos?

What other plyos other than depth jumps are recommended?

While I'm working on increasing my squat, what else should I do? I've been doing olympic lifts for a little over 2 months (still working on the power form) and work on my jumping indirectly and directly.

Thanks if you can answer all that.

I can post my next cycle's split if you want to check it out.

Sorry I'm not gonna answer the question, I hate designing programs for people, because fankly I can't. I don't have any education in the relevant areas to do so. And I have never trained anyone but me.

% - go by feel, but usually around 40-60%

plyos with weights, vest usually

so many variations like hurdle jumps, bounds, all of these can be started with a depth jump as wel etc

Do sprints - which are probbaly the best plyometric movement in terms of speed

Thanks. By speed squats did you mean like WSB 10x2? but do full squats?

Do you know where I can read about how to organize cycles and sessions if you don't want to answer it?
I read Bompa, but didn't really like that too much.
I don't have to peak so I guess I'd work multiple qualities at once. I don't know if each day should be devoted to one quality though. Isn't that what Poliquin does?
Or should each day have multiple qualities trained. Also read about themes which touches on that by CT.

From what I've read, you know more than alot of people with NSCA "education." I'd bet you know more than many college strength coaches here in the US.

What I did last cycle was 3xweek 1 oly, 1 squat, 1 press.
Next cycle is 2 upper, and 2 lower days.
Lower being 1 oly, 1 squat, 1 unilateral, hamstring.
Upper being press, row, auxiliary.

CoolColJ said:

How I would split it up off the top of my head -

1) eccentric strength and reversal speed in the dip and absorbing energy when you dip to jump from motion - depth jumps and alttitude drops

although i forget what exactly altitude drops are, I think you should mention that depth jumps are considered very dangerous and not neccessary.

delldell2 said:
Thanks. By speed squats did you mean like WSB 10x2? but do full squats?

Do you know where I can read about how to organize cycles and sessions if you don't want to answer it?
I read Bompa, but didn't really like that too much.
I don't have to peak so I guess I'd work multiple qualities at once. I don't know if each day should be devoted to one quality though. Isn't that what Poliquin does?
Or should each day have multiple qualities trained. Also read about themes which touches on that by CT.

From what I've read, you know more than alot of people with NSCA "education." I'd bet you know more than many college strength coaches here in the US.

What I did last cycle was 3xweek 1 oly, 1 squat, 1 press.
Next cycle is 2 upper, and 2 lower days.
Lower being 1 oly, 1 squat, 1 unilateral, hamstring.
Upper being press, row, auxiliary.

Sorta like WSB, I only do about 5x3, sometimes, more or less.
I go up in weight every set from 40-70 % etc
I only do fullsquats :)
10x2 can be too much I think, depends on what elese your doing
Just do squats with a lighter weight so you can move the weight fast. It acts like a recovery session from heavier squats, but aids in making you stronger as well.

There is a thread on the CF forum called Conjugate Method where CT has a reply that will help, look for it. Basicly you work on strength and speed strength together all the time. Basicly like how I train I guess. Squats for strength, olys and jumpsquats for speed etc.
Training doesn't have to complicated, for you you just try and get stronger and work on form. Once you can do comfortable reps with 1.5 times your bodyweight then you can start doing fancy stuff.
Just alternate strength emphasis session with more speed strength sessions. So you can snatch and squat for the strength one and clean and speed squats for the speed one etc - that has worked well for me.
If your CNS feels fried skip the session and do it a day later, it's not gonna hurt your training, and you'll make better gains in the long run. Better to undertrain than to over do it
Unload every 3-4 weeks (cut the volume in half and increase the loads) and things will go well

But what I know doesn't mean I can apply it to someone else.

Top Bottom