Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

deadlifting and squatting heavy every week

malhavoc

I'm not a powerlifter, but I can't resist deadlifting and squatting heavy (deadlifts are typically in the 1-5 rep range, and squats are 6-8)

Normally I'll deadlift with back for 2-3 sets and squat on another day with quads for 3-4 sets. Would it be overtraining to do them both in the same week? I lift 3 days a week with at least 1 day in between each session.

Another idea I've been toying with is alternating heavy deads with high rep ones (2-3 sets of 1-5 reps one week, and 1 set of 20 the next, and so on). Any thoughts on any of this?

I would not deadlift heavy for more than 3 weeks straight. After that...I would switch to light dimel deads, speed rack pulls, etc... Pick something that is similar to a deadlift and do them instead...and after doing goodmornings.

For strongman...I need to work on my weakpoints now. I need to increase my deadlift strength. Here is what I plan to do.

week 1: deadlift
week 2: slightly heavier deadlift
week 3: really push my deadlift
week 4: goodmorning
week 5: slightly heavier goodmorning
week 6: really push my goodmorning
week 7: begin again with deadlift.

I also cycle the way that I do my goodmornings...I do them with different variations.

Just a few thoughts...

B True

I agree with Btrue. Heavy deads are great, but after a while, you're tempting fate injury-wise.

b fold the truth said:
I would not deadlift heavy for more than 3 weeks straight. After that...I would switch to light dimel deads, speed rack pulls, etc... Pick something that is similar to a deadlift and do them instead...and after doing goodmornings.

For strongman...I need to work on my weakpoints now. I need to increase my deadlift strength. Here is what I plan to do.

week 1: deadlift
week 2: slightly heavier deadlift
week 3: really push my deadlift
week 4: goodmorning
week 5: slightly heavier goodmorning
week 6: really push my goodmorning
week 7: begin again with deadlift.

I also cycle the way that I do my goodmornings...I do them with different variations.

Just a few thoughts...

B True

Thanks for the advice ... one question though, if I do cycle through heavy weight to lighter weight and back, how hard do you push yourself on the lighter weight? as much as you would on heavier? (ie: if I pull 405 x 5 one week, and then drop it to 315 the next, should I pull it until failure or close to it?)

malhavoc said:

Thanks for the advice ... one question though, if I do cycle through heavy weight to lighter weight and back, how hard do you push yourself on the lighter weight? as much as you would on heavier? (ie: if I pull 405 x 5 one week, and then drop it to 315 the next, should I pull it until failure or close to it?)

Good question. IMO, the whole point of cycling down to a lighter weight is to give your back a bit of a break and give yourself some growth time. While I'd definitely do more reps on a light cycle than a heavy one, I wouldn't necessarily go balls out to failure.

For example, If you're doing 405 for 5 reps as a heavy week, going down to 315, I'd go 8-10 reps. This should be fairly easy for you, but still somewhat challenging. Then of course, you'll be adding weight over the following weeks.

agreed...cycle heavy and light weeks.

what i've been doing is hitting a heavy week of deads where my max reps are 9-10 range on my first set (going down to 7-9, then 5-6 on following sets). then the next week i'll attempt a 20 rep set at a lighter weight. then back to heavies next week. when i first started d/ling...i would do heavy sets every single week to failure and decided that was a big too taxing so i started throwing in the lighter weight alternate weeks.

squatting i'll do the same alternating routine.

Let me clarify...there is no need to do more than a single on deads.

light = 550-585
moderate = 585-610
heavy = new max, 629 plus

The light session is way below my 1rm and easy. The moderate is basically in preperation for the heavy week and so I can judge how it felt and what weight I want to pull for my heavy week. My heavy week...I try to beat my PR by a couple of pounds. My heavy week usually leaves me walking a bit funny for a few days..lol.

B True

I deadlift every other week myself and squat heavy every other week. That is to say that every other squat workout is a high rep workout, going for 15 or more reps. I look forward to the heavy workouts myself as the high reps KILL ME! :)

bbuniv1.jpg

Top Bottom