Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

You're skinny-fat. Bulk or Cut?

Dutchman_82

About two months ago I finally got back into the gym after being out for several years. I won't waste space with my reasons/excuses. I'm back, that's what matters. My predicament: With clothes on I look like an average tall skinny guy. Long lanky arms and legs. I'm 188lbs and 6'1". I can't pinch any fat on my body except for on my torso. My lower chest, and lower belly to be exact. It's not a flattering fat either (if there is any!). I did get fat a couple years ago. I hit 245lbs. I just cut calories, and ran a lot. So I lost a lot of muscle too. I'm left with skinny arms and legs, with a soft torso.
I want to eventually hit 200lbs-lean muscle. Where would y'all begin? Bulk up some more worry about cutting later. Or cut first, and just look even skinnier until I'm ready to bulk again.

Hey dutchman, its great to see you here. I would start off by saying, do NOT cut at all. Trust me, i am still in the EXACT same boat as you. I am about 6ft. and very lanky, basically no BF on my arms or legs but when i get to my stomach i have more than on my arms. So i thought i should cut.... and i tried it for a month and since im not really a muscular kid, i was just getting to see my ribs more than abs because i did not have big muscles. So now im bulking and its going great, so you will want to bulk first because it will be easier to see your abs when you cut, i really would not make the same mistake i did. I thought i was fat, and i never got it through my head that i wasn't. So i cut because my stomach was big, so i wanted to see "my abs" but there wasn't anything to see because i did not have thick ab muscles.

So bulk first, then cut you won't regret it.

thanks for the Advice everyone. Since I've been back in the gym I've been taking in a few more calories. Doing my best to keep it "clean". I haven't been doing much cardio at all. I was hoping that by bulking first I'd enjoy the cutting results more down the road. Thanks for the reassurance.
Rachel, I really wouldn't know how to judge. I think my arms are a little over 15" and lean. Legs are lean... just a flabby gut and the lower portion of my chest. I can see two abs clearly. lol. I wouldn't want to sit down in public with my shirt off ;)

You definitely need to bulk. 15% BF looks pretty dumpy on a 150 lb man. 15% BF looks OK on a 220 lb man.

Too many people worry too much about "abs". You don't need lines all over your torso to look healthy. Measurements are what matters. If you get a proper v taper and manage to drop your waist measurement by 1-2", people will see that you're in good health, even if you don't have any abs showing at all. You could definitely drop about an inch off your torso on a clean bulk, while adding an inch to your chest.

You definitely need to bulk. 15% BF looks pretty dumpy on a 150 lb man. 15% BF looks OK on a 220 lb man.

Too many people worry too much about "abs". You don't need lines all over your torso to look healthy. Measurements are what matters. If you get a proper v taper and manage to drop your waist measurement by 1-2", people will see that you're in good health, even if you don't have any abs showing at all. You could definitely drop about an inch off your torso on a clean bulk, while adding an inch to your chest.

thanks. I'd be ten times happier if I could fill out my shirts, and the seat of my pants better... as well as lift heavier. I wouldn't mind if my abs would show... but it's a goal that's not at the top of my list. I just don't like the dumpy chub I have now. Gonna try to clean up my diet (some more), and still add 3500 calories a week.

depends on your personal preference. would you prefer to be skinny yet shredded or more muscular with higher bodyfat? you could go one of two ways after making your choice. you could cut to a low BF % and lean bulk, or you could bulk and then cut after making good gains.

About two months ago I finally got back into the gym after being out for several years. I won't waste space with my reasons/excuses. I'm back, that's what matters. My predicament: With clothes on I look like an average tall skinny guy. Long lanky arms and legs. I'm 188lbs and 6'1". I can't pinch any fat on my body except for on my torso. My lower chest, and lower belly to be exact. It's not a flattering fat either (if there is any!). I did get fat a couple years ago. I hit 245lbs. I just cut calories, and ran a lot. So I lost a lot of muscle too. I'm left with skinny arms and legs, with a soft torso.
I want to eventually hit 200lbs-lean muscle. Where would y'all begin? Bulk up some more worry about cutting later. Or cut first, and just look even skinnier until I'm ready to bulk again.

http://www.elitefitness.com/forum/a...program-now-excepting-enrollments-688449.html

Top Bottom