Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

You should be as devoted to stretching as you are to lifting.

slobberknocker said:

Why 3 sec. Is that so you don't lose the stretch reflex?

Well it doesn't really matter in that regard since I only stretch after my workout.

But here's the deal - when you stretch a muscle the body reaction is to tighten up. No point in holding it past 3 secs, since it's just tightening up and it's somewhat uncomfortable and can cause tissue damage.

Now try this, stretch the muscle to a comfortable point hold for 2-3 secs, relax and repeat. The first stretch feels tight and somewhat "painful", by the 3-4th stretch you will notice the muscle loosing up, when it feels nicely loose then you can hold it longer, but there is no need to for most muscles. 5-6 stretches of 3 secs does the trick.

The only msucles I stretch for a longer period of time are the lower back with twisting type stretches and sometimes the cuff muscles, but I always start with the brief stretches.
Saves a lot of time and works just as well if not better for flexibility.

I can put my hands under my foot in a sit and reach stretching in this method :)

combine this with the PNF method as I mentioned above, after the brief stretches, with the flexing/relaxing to improve flexibility fast.

I stretch a lot with a martial artist. He says it is key to any type of strenuous activity, especially (combative) martial arts to avoid injury. You can actually gain strength from stretching(but only a limited ammount of course).

We have a routine where we stretch from the hear down to the toes. All in all it is purely beneficial and i don't see any reason not to do it.

Top Bottom